Hey Scooter! How did the Pellet Smoked Blow Torch work out?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Scooter has been on a quest for sear and the perfect malliard reaction.

I here rumors of a discussion elsewhere about your blowtorch experience. WHy dont you shre it here and see what happens?

Im curious about the propane torch effect vs red hot charcoal

scooter

The torch seared very well as I suspected it would. Quite a spectacle as well! The torch blowing flame 2-3 feet out in a 5" wide pattern is both visually appealing to guys and there's a loud blast furnace sound it makes as well which adds to the effect!
What I didn't count on was the missing flavor profile of the finished product. While the steak was given a good searing from above, what I detected was missing was the flavor profile I get from searing from below. Fat dripping down on hot coals then vaporizing upward adds an element that can't be duplicated by searing from above, or at least I haven't figured out how to get it in there yet.
The finished steaks were seared nicely, tender, juicy, and a little smokey from the MAK but it tasted, and I don't know how else to verbalize this, clean. Just steak, seasonings and smoke. The live fire searing component of fat vaporization was not there and I noticed it right off.
So, while the torch searing experiment worked and it looked and sounded cool while searing the steaks, the torch has been, at least for now, relegated to just charcoal lighting duties or a showboat thing I can do for a party of onlookers at my house. :)

image_2330.jpg

Last edited:

TentHunter

I was wondering how it turned out too ;).

Good to know about the missing flavor from the fat vaporizing.

Excellent report, Thanks!

Top Bottom