Braised Short Ribs with Carrots.

TentHunter

We cooked these a few weeks back on the MAK, but I've been so dang busy I'm just now getting around to posting it. But man were they good!

I had a hankering for some beef and the butcher had some great looking beef short ribs for $2.79/lb. I rubbed them up and put them on the MAK to smoke for a bit.
BSRWC1.JPG

Then I bumped the temp up to 245° for a couple hours until they looked like this:
BSRWC2.JPG

I lined the bottom of a baking dish with a layer of chopped onion and mixed up some braising liquid - about 1/2 cup each: Cider Vinegar, beer & brown sugar.
BSRWC3.JPG

The short ribs were placed on top of the onion, and the braising liquid poured in. The dish was then covered and the temp bumped up to about 275° for a couple hours.
BSRWC4.JPG

Later carrots were added to the dish, and covered to cook until the ribs were tender.
BSRWC5.JPG

Served with some mashed potatoes and the sauce in the baking dish.
BSRWC6.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Yum yum! So, 1-2 hrs on smoke then 1-2 hrs at 245°?

No. About 30 minutes on smoke mode, then 1 - 2 hours at 245° - 250ish°, then in a dish with some braising liquid (or foiled) for another couple hours at 275° - 300° to braise, then check for tenderness. There should be little to no resistance when you check for tenderness with a toothpick.

One more note: Braising liquids almost always have some sort of acidic component to them. This not only helps with tenderizing, but also helps cut the fat. In this case it was the vinegar.

In addition to getting really tender ribs, the other advantage to braising is that you catch all the juices that would otherwise evaporate, or drip off, and they mingle with the braising liquid. When it's done strain the liquid through a fat separator and you will have a wonderful tasting sauce that can be spooned back over the ribs or used for mashed potatoes. YUM!

Top Bottom