How tough is your family as food critics?

Big Poppa

Administrator
One of the things that I have enjoyed/hated/laughed about is the core of food critics that develop as you start cooking most of the food. My critic is my wife. She tells me squarely how she likes something. One buddy who is going to respond Jimbo has a unique situation Ill let him describe

THese Gallows or food critics would have a hard time if we were as blunt sometimes. But I like it as it keeps me on my toes and also when I hit a home run they think its a single ...but the rare grand slam the praise is nice.

Lets see if Jimbo responds...He and I cook the same. when I am cooking with him at his house his 'gallows' rave about my cooking and Jimbo just sits there grumbling!

Deb

My son is my biggest critic. He tells it how it is ...... A few years ago I did some test baking for a couple bread cookbooks and had to get feedback from others, so I asked for it.... he ran with it and has never stopped.

He will tell me when I get it right though... last night I made the cuban sandwiches again since he wasn't here last time --- he came into my office later and said.... Mom, those sandwiches were reallllly good.

CarterQ

Wife is my resident critic and she is pretty straightforward. If it's bad she'll let me know (and not softly!), but if it's a home run I'll get my "atta boy" as well. Good thing is she can tell me what she liked and didn't like about something and maybe what would make it better. I do the same for her when she cooks too. We both love cooking and we both want to do it well so we push each other and it makes us better cooks.

HoDeDo

In general, extended family loves everything I cook... I do most of my experimentation on my wife and kids, My daughters are brutally honest... and my oldest has sensitivities to salt, etc.... so I look for her to tell me when I am verging on oversalting. If she is starting to complain, I am probably just about right, if she really bellyaches, then I need to cut back. But they get all my experiments... some they like some they dont. Kim isn't as brutal, but I can tell when she wants to kick something to the curb. :)
Neighbors are no help, they always love it... LOL

TentHunter

My family is pretty up front and honest when its something they don't like... Then there's my daughter; she's merciless! If she doesn't like it she lets me know in no uncertain terms (she's just like her father - except better looking).

But they're all pretty good about telling what specifically it is they don't like so I know how to adjust for next time.

The other thing is my son and I LOVE the heat, whereas my wife likes some heat and my daughter very little heat. My wife, mom and I like lower salt, and my wife doesn't like really sweet stuff all that much. So when I find that balance that all of us like, then I can be pretty sure that it will work for a larger group, like a family or church cookout.

All in all I'd have to say my family is a really good test group. I should probably be paying them :p!

Rip

My wife is brutally honest, wouldn't have it any other way. In the past two weeks she's gone from skeptical of the smoker's cost, to bemused at my immersion into the pellet world, to bragging at work about how many times I've taking over meal planning and cooking, and now she's getting enthused about trying new things....case in point, I was discussing the excellent dutch oven thread with her and she said she'd always wanted one.....so we picked one up today! (BP, this will cause further expansion of my "must try" list :D )

DolphinLvr

Awesome Rip! There are going to be alot of things I cook that my wife will just refuse to eat ( She is a VERY picky eater), However, I will count on her to provide me feedback such as Tri-Tip, Chicken and pork butts :) So I will be leaving the rest to other family members and friends.

ACW3

My wife and I are both KCBS Judges. Whenever I cook anything on my MAK, I get the "wife's/judge's critique". Fortunately, after 42 years of marriage (and counting), I know what she likes/dislikes and I don't get too many negative comments. She will, however, let me know if she thinks something is overcooked for competition, but okay for home consumption (ribs come to mind). My son and his wife are just happy to have me cook the meal most of the time.

Art

jimbo

OK, I'll say I have a pretty tough set of critics (AKA: Gallows), a dietitian, a casein & lactose intolerant, & a pseudo healthy minimal meat eater. Tough combo to fire up the smoker for & they have no problem letting me know what's wrong with the meal I just spent all that time preparing for them. I definitely feel like I have Simon rating me on all of my cooks. However there is that rare moment when all the stars align during a blue moon & solar eclipse when Simon gives me 2 thumbs up & I feel like the American Idol for the evening.

Rip

I hear ya Sparky. My daughters don't eat anything unless they've eaten it before...when my 19 year old was about 5 we ordered gourmet macaroni for her at a fancy eatery, she wouldn't touch it...fast forward a few years she's quizzing a waiter at Disney World about their mac-n-cheese, he thinks a moment and then assures her it's just like kraft from a box...and she loved it. I cook around, not for them. Jimbo, wow, tough crowd.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Jimbo could have the toughest. Except for when I cook the exact thing the exact same way Jimbo cooks it and they love it....I know I said that but it bears repeating

HoDeDo

BP, if you cook it the exact same way... IT must be the delivery of the final product :)

They just like your smile better LOL

SilverBullet

My wife will eat almost anything I make as long as it's done enough for her liking. Which is pretty easy to do with the equipment I have.
I find that I can be my own worst critic.

MN bbq shack

I can't trust my wife's lack of criticism as she's just happy that I do most of the cooking.
funny when the grandkids come over though. they're not shy!
monster in law has been here for the holidays, absolutely loves the pellet grill taste. frankly amazed she hasn't complained about anything yet...

Top Bottom