What do you use Savory Herb pellets for?

I received some Savory Herb pellets by mistake. Those of you that use them, what do you use them for? Do you use them in the hopper or in an Amaze'n tube?

172.jpg

Last edited:

TentHunter

First off, the Savory herb are Oak pellets with herbs mixed in when they're made. You can use them the way they are in an A-Maze-N tube, or in a foil pouch (with a hole poked in it) on some charcoal.

If you want to use them in your hopper then there are a couple ways:

1) Mix the 1 lb bag with about 4 - 5 lbs of oak pellets and load them into the hopper. OR...

2) Mix the 1 lb bag with 2 lbs of oak, and load some of those into the bottom of the hopper and top off with more oak. This way the Savory Herb flavor hits the food in the beginning of the cook while it can still absorb smoke best.

They're great with poultry, and for breads. My favorite way to use them is mixing them the second way (above) for baking pizza in our pellet grill at 350° - 375° for 20 - 25 minutes.

Thanks Tent for the info. Just curious, at 350° - 375°F, do you get any smoke flavoring? Thought you only got the smoke 275°F and below?

Based on your information, I am thinking of using them in the tube with pizza or chicken. What am I missing?

TentHunter

Yes you do still get some smoke at those temps, not as much as at lower temps, but still some. Also it's more of an aroma that you pick up when using the savory herb, which influences the taste, if that makes sense.

A lot of what you taste actually comes from smell.

The Savory herb pellets make your backyard smell like an old time pizzeria (even before the pizza starts cooking), and that smell gets on the food, and when we take a pizza in that was cooked on the MAK using some Savory herb pellets in the mix, that smell is then carried into the house.

Top Bottom