Better for low-smoking-GMG or Yoder?

rklevy69

Which one is better for low-smoking? I want to smoke beef jerky at 150. And I want to use it a LOT! Like every weekend. My choice is between a Green Mountain or a Yoder. Which is better? Price is not a concern...

SeenRed

I don't own either of these rigs, so what I know of them is what I've read. 150* is the lowest temp setting on either, and while they're both fine products, I've heard they can struggle to maintain that low of a temperature consistently. I think this is probably true of most pellet grills...my Rec Tec's lowest setting is 180*. Perhaps some GMG or YS owners will weigh in.

I'm a bit shocked that someone hasn't steered you towards a MAK by now...

Red

rklevy69

I believe the lowest setting on a MAK is 180, which is why I am leaning towards one of these two. If a MAK had a lower Temp I would go for one of those.

onionhead

My cold smoker on the MAK 2 gives me temperatures as low as 100F. It gets around 90F when the ambient air temps are sub zero.

TentHunter

This is from another thread about smoke mode on the MAK.

Smoke setting can range from 165 to 195 (typically runs around 175) to produce the most smoke.

Our MAK 1 Star normally hovers around 170°ish in smoke mode. I use it for smoking sausage, bacon, hams, etc often.

Edit: Just to clarify - I am referring specifically to the 1 Star & 2 Star's main chamber (not the cold-smoke chamber and/or super smoker box).

Last edited:

scooter

I agree with onionhead, you can easily get 150 and well below (seasonally down into the 90's) if desired using the cold smoking tray and even more space using the cold smoking attachment offered by MAK.

Top Bottom