Pork Love

Caldera

Hey there guys, I haven't posted anything in a while...too long really. Mostly I have just been super busy, without nearly enough time to smoke as I'd like. :(

What I have been smoking lately has been mostly fatties & baby back ribs. I found a couple recipes that we liked, and after a few cooks turned each of them into something the family loves. However, our (okay my) love affair with pork doesn’t end there….not by a long shot. There is one particular thing I’ve been dying to try, but I haven’t had the time to cook; a nice large pork butt.

Per usual I read through all sorts of recipes, and also per usual I just succeeded to confuse myself. :)
In the end I just said to heck with it and rubbed it down and threw it on the smoker. I didn’t use a pan, crutch/foil, or juice spray. Literally I just put it on at 225 and left it there for just shy of 10 hours.

Currently it’s resting for about 30 minutes; and I can hardly wait to tear into it with my new Bear Paws that my darling hubby got me for my birthday. ;) Now I just have to convince myself that I should share all that pork goodness with the rest of the family…

**NOTE: I really do have photos, just can't seem to get them posted! :( **

Last edited:

sptucker

I'm sure your pork has turned out fantastic. You will love the Bear Paws. Best tool ever for pulling pork!

There is a picture-posting help thread somewhere on here if you search for it...

I see that you live in my hometown! Sometimes I miss it...

Apascuma

Caldera,
I recently received a REC TEC Pellet Smoker for fathers day and typically smoke a Pork butt and Ribs every weekend! Love my smoker and absolutely love the quality of smoked meat it creates. My neighborhood consistently requests pulled pork for pool parties and other gatherings. That said, I normally allow mine to run for about 12 hours or so (200 internal temp); rest for at least an hour or so. If you pull it too soon it may be a little tougher than anticipated only because the juices havent returned and it hasnt rested long enough.

Top Bottom