Pizza - First Attempt

After TentHunter recommended using Savory Herb pellets for Pizza, I decided to give it a try. Since I was making more than one pizza, I decided to use his first recommendation on mixing the Savory Herb pellets from the discussion below:

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/what-do-you-use-savory-herb-pellets-7981/

Not quite as much flavor as I hoped, so I will try option 2 next time (which is what he recommended in the first place).

Decided to make a Pesto Primavera pizza (like local pizzaria) and a Margherita pizza.

First contains Pesto as the sauce, followed by mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, zucchini, artichoke hearts, oregano, and basil. Unfortunately, my can of artichoke hearts was sitting on the counter unopened when it was done. I screwed up, but still was good:

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Here is the Margherita pizza:

010.jpg

012.jpg

Both were real good. I will definitely do pizza again on the MAK.

sptucker

Those pizzas look spectacular!

Haven't tried this on the MAK, but used to do it on the Weber with great success. You have energized me to get after it -- I gotta try the Margherita, your photos are literally making me drool...

TentHunter

Margherita pizza is one of my faves. I usually just make it with olive oil & garlic for the base sauce, and sometimes use arugula along with or instead of spinach.

BUT...

Zuchini slices on a pizza? THAT has my attention- BIG TIME! Yes sir; you better believe I'll be trying that the next time we do pizza's!

sptucker

Zuchini slices on a pizza? THAT has my attention- BIG TIME! Yes sir; you better believe I'll be trying that the next time we do pizza's!

I usually have garden zucchinis coming out my ears in the summer, and have served them every way imaginable (can you say zucchini soup?), so I can vouch! Zucchini on pizza rocks!

Thanks for all of the comments. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try it. I was afraid of making my own dough, but ended up much easier than I thought. Used the following recipe:

Pizza Dough Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

Now I just need to figure out the right way to cook it. I cooked at 350-400F on a pizza stone. Was good, but will experiment to see if I can make it better.

Thanks for all of the help on this site.

Top Bottom