Spatchcock Chicken Dinner

MitchP

I cook dinner for the extended family on Sunday's so this week it was Spatchcock Chicken. I still need to work on a way to get the skin crispy. I cooked these at 350 degrees with an hours worth of apple wood smoke in the cold smoke generator and the Chicken tasted fabulous but the skin was still rubbery. I think next time I will try smoking them for 1 hr and then finish them of on the gas grill and see what happens.

chicken2.jpg_zps8yltggt8.jpg

chicken1.jpg_zpsoa3lbovb.jpg

Quadman750

Keep experimenting, finish at higher temps till you get your crispy skin. I'm thinking at some point it should get crispy, or try rubbing the skin with mayo or flipping it skin side down for the last while. Pellet grills are not a dry heat like your oven as the pellets have moisture content, so getting crispy skin is a little harder on a pellet grill.

Last edited:

MitchP

Haven't tried rubbing with mayo. I rubbed these with olive oil and Old Bay seasoning. I'll keep working on it till I figure it out. I have a turkey in a bucket curing so it'll the next bird attempt. I'll try the mayo thing with that and see what happens.

Last edited:

scooter

I've found that brining only makes the skin situation worse. Mayo is good but it will produce bite through skin, not crispy.

Those chickens look great! Spatchcock is the best way to cook it evenly. As far as crispy skin, you have to raise the temp real high the last 1/2 hour (375-400F) from my experience to get what you want. But it is hit or miss and I don’t know why.

Top Bottom