Mak 2 Star -- How well does it perform as a grill???

rwalters

Brand new to this community. Just posted my intro, and have replied to another thread. A few questions that I have seen on this forum now have me wondering something. Grilling on a Mak 2 Star. How hot can you realistically get the cooking grate surface. In other words, if the Pellet Boss is giving a temp of 475-500, how hot are temps at the cooking grate level? Has anyone here hit the grates with an infrared thermometer? How many here have a pellet grill, specifically a Mak with flame zone, as their ONLY grill/smoker? Also, how even is the heat across the cooking grate? Wondering, if a Mak can REALLY be an all-in-one for someone that has been cooking over lump charcoal 1/2 their life?

sptucker

How hot can you realistically get the cooking grate surface. In other words, if the Pellet Boss is giving a temp of 475-500, how hot are temps at the cooking grate level? Has anyone here hit the grates with an infrared thermometer?

I have grilled extensively with my 2 Star, using the standard grate and the searing grate. Both provide great results and you can get nice grill marks if you are into that sort of thing. On the High setting, I measured the temp at the grate using a Harbor Freight infrared gun at 650+. Not sure how accurate that was, but I guarantee you it is hot enough to cook steaks and burgers and chicken and whatever else you desire. The key with grilling on the MAK is to keep the lid closed or it cools off quite rapidly. Even when turning meat, you have got to open it, do the flipping, and get the lid closed fast.

MAK is great at reverse-sear cooking -- you can get a lot of wood flavor via lower temp baking before the sear.

How many here have a pellet grill, specifically a Mak with flame zone, as their ONLY grill/smoker? Also, how even is the heat across the cooking grate? Wondering, if a Mak can REALLY be an all-in-one for someone that has been cooking over lump charcoal 1/2 their life?

I used the MAK as my only grill/smoker for awhile. I got rid of a Weber kettle and a gas grill, and stopped using my offset-firebox smoker entirely once I got used to the MAK. The MAK can do anything, and do it very well. All cookers have their own personalities -- you just have to learn their nuances and adapt.

The heat is quite even with the flame zone cover(s) off, but not as even with the cover(s) on. Definitely hotter around the edges with the cover(s) on, but nothing major. You would not want to grill with the cover(s) on anyway.

I do use a Hasty-Bake for routine grilling now, but not because it can't be done on the MAK. It's more of a nostalgia thing as I share my hometown with Hasty-Bake. And, I admit, I am a charcoal junkie...

farfromovin

sptucker said it well. If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing a double walled stainless cook top on my 2 star. That would help ramp up to 500 (and beyond) much quicker I think. Nonetheless, it's been very versatile. Especially with searing or reverse searing, don't forget to use that smoker/warming box when ramping temps up or down. Very unique tool that produces excellent food. The wife and I are hooked for sure.

Top Bottom