GMG warming tray

CARS

I have one of the first GMG. Compared to the new ones with probes, wifi, etc. anyway.
Doesn't even have a cute frontiersman name attached!

It has a warming tray under the grill area. Never figured out what to use it for because it does get some ash in it (not much). It gets too hot to use as storage or as I found out, keeping my digital thermometer out of the rain...

I can understand why the next gen grills didn't have this feature. Just wondering if any of you "veteran" pellet grillers found a use for this feature.

rwalters

I don't own a GMG, but when you say that you own one of the 1st GMGs...how old does that make it? How long has GMG been in business? How has it held up? Many problems/issues? How often do you use it? Just curious :)

I just bought a used Mak. One of the 1st 1 Stars...it's about 5 years old and still going strong!!

CARS

I would guess I have had it for at least 5 years. Maybe 6. But I bought it used from the dealer that just started selling them a year or 2 earlier. So I bought a demo model that was used all the time to show the grill off.

It was before the stainless stack cap and taller legs with casters. Maybe someone can tell me or if I run into my dealer friend I will ask. I bought it as-is but he said he would take care of me for awhile if there was any issues.

Issues.... I keep burning up bags and bags of pellets!

One time the induction fan quit. My dealer came over with a new one but when he took the old one out discovered that a un-burned pellet had lodged itself in it somehow. Cleaned it up and re-installed. Fired it up and cooked him dinner w/beverages. No charge!

I'm really happy with my GMG. Sure other makes have better, more advanced features these days but for the price it's a great grill.
I use it at least 2-3 days a week if I am home. When I had it at my shop, I bet this grill was going 3-4 days a week. And this is in MN. I grill all year long now that I don't have to babysit coals and put out flare ups from grease.

If something at this price point can last this long (with care of course), I can't imagine how long a MAK would last. Those things look like a tank!

rwalters

Thanks for sharing! I am starting to come to the realization that today's (at least the majority) pellet grills are built quite well, and a buyer can expect a long happy relationship with it with minimal fuss. I have to admit, prior to my Mak purchase last month, I was under the impression that pellet grills could be quite finicky, and needed routine maintenance/part replacements. Starting to think I was wrong :)

Top Bottom