Reading about Prime Rib

bubbatdog

I have my course of action for smoking my massive beast, but I am trying to figure out the best way to rub it.

I have read many a post about a balsamic glaze that people are using on their prime rib.

Are you making your own glaze, and if so how? (Balsamic, sugar, salt it what I am finding)

What are you using for herbs and spices? I really like the thought of garlic and rosemary as I think they lend themselves to beef really well.

What do you all use for that?

Thanks in advance. Not going to sear or reverse sear, and want a good bark

sptucker

I have used this Santa Maria rub on Prime Rib with fantastic results:

2tsp fresh ground black pepper
2tsp course kosher or sea salt
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp dried crushed rosemary
1tsp dried oregano

I really like rosemary on beef, too, so I have used more than above on occasion. Enjoy!

scooter

I use Mussini Whiskey flavored balsamic glaze as a glue for beef steaks and roasts. BPS used to carry it but stopped for some reason. Luckily I purchased several bottles before they removed it. A little goes a long way so a bottle will last a while.

I have used Mussini in the past, but now just use whatever balsamic glaze is available at the local grocery store. They always have a couple to choose from where I live. I like it much better than olive oil. I have used BPS Money rub in the past, but now prefer BPS Double Secret. Salt and pepper will work fine as well.

bubbatdog

What does everything think of this recipe

Beef Rub Recipe
Makes. 5 tablespoons of dry rub, enough for a 10 pound roast.

Takes. 15 minutes.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves

2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon American paprika

1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

scooter

If you added salt to that recipe it would work for me. I would also leave off the paprika as I don't think it's really needed on beef.

As for the glaze, go really light. Maybe a tablespoon or two for the entire 15 lb roast

bubbatdog

Thanks Scooter.

Here is my plan, based on a lot of your posts

1. Fire up Smoker
2. Take meat out of fridge and cut off the fat on the outside
3. Rub with Glaze and the rub that I have pre made
4. Place meat on smoker on smoke setting for one hour
5. Raise temp to 225 degrees until the meat reaches 130 in the center of the roast
6. Tent meat and place a thermometer in the middle of the roast and let it set until the temp starts to go down
7. Slice
8 Eat
9 Hate myself for eating too much beef.
10 Heat up a piece three hours later and eat again.

Sound good?

mcschlotz

Just depends on how you like the finished product, rare- med-rare or med. The roast's center IT will likely coast up a bit from 130º after being pulled.

bubbatdog

We like it medium rare. After reading many threads on this board, I was thinking it would spike 5 to 10 degrees coming from a 225 degree grill if I tent it. That should give me a good medium rare correct, or shall I pull it at 125?

rwalters

I find there to be almost zero carry over temp increase when pulling a hunk of meat from a low n slow cook. Perhaps a couple of degrees, but never more than that. When doing low n slows, I typically pull at the desired temp and do not take carry over temp rise into consideration.

Last edited:

scooter

BP lets his rib roasts rest uncovered for 30 mins then slices. I let mine rest loosely tented with the probe still in until the IT begins to decrease. At that point I know without a doubt the roast has stopped contracting due to temp increases. If I cook between 225 and 250 I can plan on 60 mins until the temp push ends and the IT begins to drop. I always see somewhere between 5F-10F push after tenting.
I like my rib roasts on the medium side of med-rare so I pull them at 140F and they coast up in the mid to high 140's giving me a perfect medium.

My idea of medium. Finished IT was 149F

Last edited:

scooter

That was my first so I left all the exterior fat on. Since that roast I trim all exterior fat off so I can get seasoning and smoke to meat contact.

Ok. Do you guys apply your rub and then straight to the grill or do you let it set for a few hours or overnight?

Also, what type of smoke are you using for your prime's

Thanks!!

bubbatdog

I applied my rub about a half hour before and the flavor was amazing. Used the balsamic glaze as an adherent.

Smoked hickory pellets. 215 degrees for the whole cook. Right at 4 hours to finish a 15 pound roast, pulled at 135, roast rose to 140.7 after tenting. When it went down to 140, I cut and plated for the family

rwalters

I applied my rub about a half hour before and the flavor was amazing. Used the balsamic glaze as an adherent.

Smoked hickory pellets. 215 degrees for the whole cook. Right at 4 hours to finish a 15 pound roast, pulled at 135, roast rose to 140.7 after tenting. When it went down to 140, I cut and plated for the family

Awesome...but, but, but...
f03bc13577eecb093232f438df868524.jpg

Top Bottom