Cran-Apple-Orange Sauce for the Holidays

TentHunter

Holiday Cran-Apple-Orange Sauce
CRANSC04.JPG

I was experimenting with homemade cranberry sauce a number of years ago when I came up with this recipe, and it's been a family fave ever since. :)

Cran-Apple-Orange Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Bag (12 oz.) Cranberries
3 - 4 Granny Smith Apples
1 Naval Orange (seedless)
The zest of half of the Orange
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg

CRANSC01.JPG

Rinse the cranberries, removing any bruised berries and stems. Leaving the peels on, wash, core & cut apples into roughly 1/2" cubes. You want about an equal ratio of apples to cranberries. After zesting about half the orange, peel and cut the orange segments into roughly 1/2" pieces. Place everything, but the orange pieces, in a sauce pot. Set the orange pieces aside to be added later.
CRANSC02.JPG

Bring to a boil over high heat. The water will not cover the fruit, so keep stirring the mixture as it heats up. The cranberries will start to burst and release their red color. Keep stirring.

Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and keep stirring while gently mashing the cranberries against he side of the pan. As soon as the berries are mashed, remove from the heat and allow it to cool to room temperature.
CRANSC03.JPG

Once it has completely cooled, stir in the orange pieces and chill before serving.
CRANSC04.JPG

Enjoy, and thanks for looking!

scooter

That would look good to me Cliff if I wasn't so in love with the Ocean Spray jellied stuff!! I'm weird I know!! :)

Top Bottom