MAK smoked gumbo!

SmokinKat

This is the recipe I use, given to me by my dear friend Larry from Louisiana. This makes a HUGE amount, but it does freeze and reheat very well, so I always make the full batch while I'm making the effort. :)

Gumbo_zps0jhzyzjt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5 lb. chicken (dark meat, skin removed)
2 lbs jumbo shrimp (Raw in Shell)
3 ea. sweet yellow onion
6 cloves chopped garlic
4 large bell peppers
1 ½ lb lump crab meat
2 lbs Andouille sausage (Sliced diagonally)
1 lb Hot link sausage (Sliced diagonally)
2 heads of celery (chopped diagonally)
2 bags frozen chopped okra
3 pkgs. Gumbo Mix (we use Louisiana Brand)
2 Tbsp Gumbo Filé
Roux
Salt & Pepper to taste
5 quarts Low Fat Chicken Broth ( one quart set aside)

I first smoked the chicken and sausages to get some good smoky flavor-- about 2 hours. Larry would boil the chicken to make chicken stock, but I prefer to smoke it and just have additional chicken stock on hand.

Chop all veggies (onions, peppers, celery and garlic). Saute the vegetables in a little butter or oil until they are translucent, and set aside.
Brown the sliced (smoked) sausages, then set aside.

In a LARGE (seriously, think BIG here) pot, heat 4 quarts of your chicken broth over medium heat. While the pot is heating, shred the cooled chicken, and set aside.

Slowly whisk the packages of gumbo mix into the pot of hot chicken stock until they are all dissolved. Allow to simmer over medium heat, and go make your roux.

roux_zpsbb3fva5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Once your roux is the desired color, turn your heat down, and slowly whisk in chicken broth until it turns into a nice gravy thickness.

Slowly stir the roux (now gravy!) into the pot until it is all incorporated. Next, add your vegetables, sausages, and shredded chicken.

Bring the pot to a boil, stirring continuously. Add your 2 bags of frozen okra, and turn heat down to medium-low. Allow the mixture to heat slowly for about 1-2 hours to let the flavors meld.

About fifteen minutes before serving, add your shrimp and crab, and bring the pot back to a boil. Once those are heated, taste the gumbo and mix in your filé, and salt and pepper to taste.

Once the seafood is cooked through, remove from heat and serve over cooked rice. Have some hot sauce and extra filé for guests to add if they desire.

Laissez le bon ton roulet!!

Top Bottom