Brisket and sides

sptucker

Nothing fancy here. Just a quick photo from brisket dinner this weekend:

I suppose I should apologize for the sauce cuz it hides the meat a little, but you get the idea. That cheesy yellow stuff is a new cauliflower recipe my wife made. Stupidly good.

And, I can say with 100% conviction that Cash Cow really is great on brisket!

sptucker

Care to share your method?

Not at all.

For this cook, I coated the meat liberally with Cash Cow and put it on the top rack of my 2 Star, fat side down (not that I honestly think it matters). Inserted temp probes in the thickest parts (it was a Costco prime packer split into point and flat, then trimmed of enormous excess fat). I had my one-piece flame zone drip tray installed and covered with foil. I used hickory pellets.

Then I ran my MAKgrillsmobile brisket program:
SMOKE for 1 hour
210 degrees until Probe 1 (in the flat) = 145 degrees
Now I wrapped the meat tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil and put it back on the top rack. This time I stuck Probe 1 in the point piece of the brisket.
245 degrees until Probe 1 = 190 degrees
At this point, I start checking the meat every 20-30 minutes until it feels right. As I recall, I pulled the flat at 200 and the point at 205.

I opened the foil to vent and then wrapped it back tight. Due to bad timing, it rested for a couple of hours before slicing. I did trim some fat off before slicing, which you can see in my pic on the top slice.

Note that this Prime brisket cooked significantly faster than the usual Choice ones. Wagyus cook even faster, in my experience. Also, the point hit 205 well before the flat hit 200. The whole cook only took about 6 hours, which is pretty darn quick.

rwalters

Thanks!! Your method is much like mine...but man oh man those slices look good! Instead of using foil, have you tried butcher paper? I have not, but would like to for my next brisket.

sptucker

I have not tried butcher paper, but I'm sure it would work fine as long as you can get a good seal. For me, one of the reasons for wrapping is to keep the fat and juices from dripping all over the inside of the cooker and burning/smoking/making a mess.

I did try cheesecloth years ago, and although it worked pretty well, it was kindofa mess and was just not as simple and easy as aluminum foil. Lesson learned.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

rwalters

I have not tried butcher paper, but I'm sure it would work fine as long as you can get a good seal. For me, one of the reasons for wrapping is to keep the fat and juices from dripping all over the inside of the cooker and burning/smoking/making a mess.

I did try cheesecloth years ago, and although it worked pretty well, it was kindofa mess and was just not as simple and easy as aluminum foil. Lesson learned.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I think the bigger reason for butcher paper is that it won't hold in as much steam, thus giving you a better bark. It's becoming more and more common to see guys using it. It's definitely got me curious ;-)

TentHunter

WOW! Look at how juicy those slices of brisket flat look! I am normally NOT a fan of the flat, but I'd sure scarf up a few of those slices!

Very nicely done!

SmokinKat

Nicely done!!! I would take a plate like that any day! Brisket looks beautiful-- nice smoke ring, and really juicy. That cheesy cauliflower stuff looks mighty tasty too!

Top Bottom