SV'nSear Rib Roast

MossyMO

Sous Vide a small rib roast (4.25 lbs.) for 7 1/2 hours at 130º. First pic is of the SV'd roast vacuum sealed and the second pic is just out of the vacuum seal.

-----

-----

Seasoned the roast with Tatonka Dust.

-----

Set the roast directly over the Vortex for a fast sear on all sides while we had twice baked potatoes and shrimp in cast iron cooking indirect around the Vortex.

-----

Here is the roast after the sear.

-----

Then while the roast was resting made some garlic toast directly over the Vortex in a cast iron pan.

-----

The entire roast was evenly cooked to our preference... made for a heck of a excellent meal not to mention it should serve a few more meals of leftovers of prime rib on toast sandwiches!

Thanks for looking!

TrickyDick

Sous Vide is all the rage these days. I admit I bought an immersion type recirculating cooker (but truth be told I already have a HUGE one I use for homebrewing) last year and my wife and I love the way steaks come out. Chops are the BEST done this way too I think. I've seared them off on the MAK or in a skillet, always tasty. Veggies work well too. I think in some respects similar to a slow cooker you, if you have busy schedule, you can prep meat, vac seal, freeze, thaw/cook right in the water bath and boom, set it and forget it while you head off to work or whatever, and boom, its ready to sear and serve when you get home. Some delicate food might suffer in texture for longer periods of cooking I suppose. I for one am a huge fan.

How long did that rib roast cook in the bath before searing? I also have to ask, as it is said there is no need to rest any sous vide meats after cooking and searing off, if you had a pool of myoglobin when you sliced it up or not....

TD

MossyMO

Sous Vide is all the rage these days. I admit I bought an immersion type recirculating cooker (but truth be told I already have a HUGE one I use for homebrewing) last year and my wife and I love the way steaks come out. Chops are the BEST done this way too I think. I've seared them off on the MAK or in a skillet, always tasty. Veggies work well too. I think in some respects similar to a slow cooker you, if you have busy schedule, you can prep meat, vac seal, freeze, thaw/cook right in the water bath and boom, set it and forget it while you head off to work or whatever, and boom, its ready to sear and serve when you get home. Some delicate food might suffer in texture for longer periods of cooking I suppose. I for one am a huge fan.

How long did that rib roast cook in the bath before searing? I also have to ask, as it is said there is no need to rest any sous vide meats after cooking and searing off, if you had a pool of myoglobin when you sliced it up or not....

TD

TD, the rib roast was sous vide for 7 1/2 hours. As for the rest, that is basically just how I worded the post for having to grill the garlic toast after the rib roast was done searing.

Top Bottom