A lazy day

Deb

Not much going on here (especially since I have no cooking pressure since I have to judge ;) ).......

some pepper bacon and an experimental turkey summer sausage

IMGP0040.jpg

IMGP0041.jpg

the summer sausage is a Charcuterie's summer sausage recipe but I used ground turkey instead of the beef and fat. I'm hoping it works. I'll cut it in a couple days

Now I have some bacon in the Traeger cooking because we are going to have a breakfast for dinner kind of night.....

sparky

no kidding. no kids yet. very quiet. after i took the pork butt off, bacon went on for blt's for lunch. then ribs for a afternoon snack. great day. :cool:

Deb

93/7

If I like it I may experiment with grinding my own. The store ground stuff was easier to experiment with

squirtthecat

That's what I use in my turkey meatloaf. And then a pound of 90/10 - or whatever the next step down is. (which has some dark meat in it).

Deb

I have never seen the 90/10. Around here we only have the 93/7 and ground turkey breast which is 98 I think, based on the color difference between the two I think the 93/7 may have some dark meat in it.

TentHunter

I can't wait to see how the Turkey Summer Sausage turns out. I'll be staying tuned for the results!

I looked into grinding Turkey myself because I kept having reactions to the "Natural Flavorings" in most brands.

I'm not sure what the meat/fat ration is, but we found the Carolina brand (ButterBall) frozen in tubes. It lists one ingredient, Ground Turkey; No seasonings of any kind. It seems to work really well for breakfast, Italian Sausage & Bratwurst. I didn't care for it in smoked kielbasa, it seemed too lean. But it was also my first attempt at kielbasa so I'm going to try it again soon.

Squirt have you done any turkey sausages?

Deb, the turkey sausages you've posted have been pretty dang awesome looking. I was just reminded of your Maple Cranberry Turkey Sausage. Yum!

We could do a whole thread on Turkey Sausage.

squirtthecat

Deb is right. 98/2 which is all white breast meat, and 93/7 which has a bit of thigh/whatever dark meat mixed in.

The 93/7 is BOGO this week at a nearby store, so I'll pop in and grab a few packages.

No sausage attempts yet... But that is my New Years Resolution. I have a 5lb stuffer and custom made SS stuffing tubes in the attic. (and an unused grinder in the trunk of our 'spare' car) Just haven't gotten brave enough to get it down and try it out yet.

Deb

Summer Sausage update:

happy, happy. It tastes good, I think it's a tad bit salty but nobody else does. . It is a little softer than the beef. I don't miss the extra fat and it is not dry at all:D . I like the cracked black pepper in it. My son suggested taking some and putting in the dehydrator :confused: .

IMGP0043.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom