Rolled Flank Steak

CarterQ

Posted this in the contest thread but I'll post it here as well.

Been wanting to try a rolled (stuffed) flank steak so I took the plunge tonight.

Here we go:

Started out with a 2lb. flank and trimmed up excess fat:

92fa553f.jpg

Prepped the stuffing- Bread crumbs, olive oil, fresh parsley, fresh thyme, grated parmesan cheese, shredded Fontina cheese, and chopped green olives.

019399ba.jpg

91578b72.jpg

Put a layer of prosciutto on the steak.

89296ad0.jpg

Next a layer of fresh basil leaves.

b3b54a76.jpg

Finally the bread crumb and cheese mix.

9fb87339.jpg

Tightly roll it and tie with butcher twine

97b42b3d.jpg

Rub the outside with olive oil, fresh thyme, salt and pepper

538ff435.jpg

Onto the MAK on high over the flame zone for about 10 minutes

7f51fc56.jpg

Turn the MAK down to 300 and cook until done (about 35 minutes)

106b244f.jpg

CarterQ

Rolled Flank Steak Cont.

Let rest about 10 minutes and then sliced

05998224.jpg

b78e0ef3.jpg

Ready to go, served up with grilled asparagus and wifes roasted balsamic potatoes

a7b2299c.jpg

This came out good, wish the steak was a little more tender but the butcher warned me this wasn't the best meat he had seen all week. Pictures make it look more rare than it was. I will definitely give this a whirl again.

ACW3

CarterQ,
Have you tried a flat iron steak? Not as big, but definitely more tender and very tasty. It would probably be more of a challenge to roll, but I think they are better tasting than regular flank steak. On the other hand, a well marinated flank steak can be made tender with the help of a Jaccard and something "alcoholic" added to the marinade.

Art

CarterQ

Yeah that might not be a bad idea, rather than do one large roll take a flat iron butterfly it and roll smaller individual steaks for each person.

txpgapro

What about using skirt steak? Dad used to use round steak and pound the heck out of it with flour. He'd stuff it with dressing and cook it on the grill. He made individual servings and called it "beef birds". I guess cause it was stuffed like a turkey. All I remember that it was very tender and very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

With the Italian influence, were you going for a kind of big Beef Braciole?

I love it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom