Beef short ribs

ITFD#15

Pulled out some beef short ribs and looking for some tips. I have been making my own rubs for some time now and have had great success. But i struggle with a good mop, I know some people do not use mops but i like them and its a nice way to finish stuff.

As well I was out fishing this afternoon and was lucky to catch a couple of small bows that I threw back but managed to land a nice 5/6 bow for the smoker and I thought that I might try it on the country smoker any tips. It is cold out here in Ontario -6 not sure what that might be in Celsius so the smoker will not have a lot of heat..

TentHunter

If you've never smoked rainbow trout... boy oh boy, you don't know what your missing!

Rainbow trout, if smoked lightly, takes takes on a truly remarkable delicate flavor and IMHO does NOT require a lot of additional seasoning. Maybe brush on a light coating of olive oil or butter, a scant sprinkling of salt, pepper, or dill, that's it. I love apple wood smoke best.

Here's some crab-stuffed rainbow trout that I posted this past summer:

Crab Stuffed Trout - Big Poppa Smokers

If you are able to go close by and catch fresh rainbows, then I truly envy you :)!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Basic Mop Recipe

Here's a basic Mop recipe I used when I mopped. Now I use it as a braising liquid and its great. But either way its super easy to make.

Simply mix up equal parts of Beer, Cider Vinegar & Brown sugar. If using it as a mop then you can seasonit with whatever rub your using or a little red pepper flakes (or whatever else you like).

Top Bottom