Pork Butts by Mikes Meat

Mikes_Meat

I had the opportunity to smoke some pork butts this weekend for a friends 40th Birthday Party and they turned out pretty good for the first big smoke on my Pit Boss 820 smoker!

I had my 10 year old son help me this time and I had fun trying to teach him about how to smoke meat :)

I used an Apple Juice, water, and sugar injectable marinade and my own rub and put them in the fridge overnight.

The next day I took them out around 9 PM and started up the smoker at 225 and lit my A-Maze-N tube pellet smoker with Pitmaster blend pellets in the AMZNTS and Competition Blend pellets from Pit Boss in the main smoker.

I let them cook overnight and once the temp got to 160 I put them in a foil pan with a couple of shots of Crown Royal dark, some apple juice and water with a little rub put in at the bottom of each pan. I then put foil over the pans.

I kept the pork in the pans till the temp reached about 190 and then placed the back on the smoker at 350 until the internal temp got to 205 in the butts.

They had a great bark on them and the flavor was awesome. I also made my own BBQ sauce. I didn't have a single complaint at the party and I believe that it was probably the best pulled pork that I have made to date!!

Here is a link to the pictures that I have. Pork Butts - Google Photo

Mikes_Meat

Those look great, Mike!! Nice to see you had a little helper, too!

Thanks SmokinKat!! I have been trying to get my boys to help me when I smoke so that they can learn earlier than I did. My family did a lot of grilling when I was growing up, but I didn't learn how to smoke anything until I was in my late 20's.

Mikes_Meat

I smoked it until about 1 PM. Would have been done sooner, but I had a flame out and lost about 20-30 minutes of heat before I was able to start it up again.

Top Bottom