Grill Mats - any reason to use in a pellet grill?

Canyonier

Hi,
I guess I just like gadgets.
I see non-stick reusable grill mats advertised and I keep wondering if I need one to use in my pellet grill?
But then I wonder if, since the mats seem to be solid but flexible, they might block much of the smoke that gives our food such a wonderful flavor?
What about you folks? Do you have an opinion on these mats?
Thanks,
Glenn

KJRsmoker

The mats are mesh so it does not restrict any smoke flavor. As for when to use them, I use them when I specifically don't want anything to stick to the grates, like when doing chicken wings, or when cooking items that might fall through the grates.

Quadman750

I use them on chicken thighs, wings, bacon wrapped meat balls, stuffed jalapeños, fatties, bacon, all sorts of food. Click on Big Poppa Smokers in the header at the top of the page & I think there are Big Poppa Smokers Mats.

I use them on all sorts of stuff too. I would add bacon wrapped anything (think shrimp or scallops), or many types of flaky fish. Many uses for these mats and they are very useful.

Canyonier

I am the OP. What I had in mind was not the mesh mats but the solid, flexible, somewhat fire resistant mats. See them a lot in advertisements for outdoor grills.
The more I think of it, it looks like these mats would block a lot of smoke flavor.
What do you think?
Glenn

Quadman750

Yes I think the solid flexible mats would block smoke absorption on the bottom & May alter the convection of the pellet Grill.

scooter

You should be able to cut them to fit so they don't restrict air flow but a MAK griddle would do the trick better.

Candy Sue

I like BPS mesh mats. Use them on every cooker I have regardless of heat type! Mainly because it makes moving food around easy and bare-handed. I do think the mats give some heat equalization in uneven heating pellet grills.

Top Bottom