I give up

jabe999

I have had a MAK 2 star for 3 years and I give up. The temperature has never gotten above 400 degrees. I have had several starters and at least one thermometer (replaced under warranty). Both of my meat probes have failed (one replaced under warranty). Tonight was the final straw. I put in new pellets and after 30 minutes, it was stuck between 125 and 130 degrees (still trying to ignite). I am in south Florida. If you want it, come get it.

Wish you were in Indiana. I'd take it. It survived the hurricane eh? I notice this is only your second post. I would think that MAK or Big Poppa would've taken care of you over the 3 years you've owned your grill. I hope you are able to get this sorted out. We'd like to see you on here posting more. Lots of great people with knowledge on here as well.. Good luck with your situation and if you want to ship it to Indiana. I'll have at it!! ( but I hope you can get it fixed first).

jabe999

I talked Mak support many times about the temperature when I first got the grill. Nothing they suggested worked. They have always sent me replacement parts. It is not the quality I expected.

jabe999

Decided to try again. Grill has been on for 40 minutes. Still says igniting and the temperature is only 125 degrees.

I have a MAK 2 star and it has been great, as well as the support. Call MAK. They will make it right. They have been great with me even when it has been user error :cool:

scooter

Do you have an iPhone? We can use Facetime to allow you to show me your MAK and what it's doing while it's coming up. Would be happy to help.

Salmonsmoker

I wonder, is the auger feeding pellets properly, and/or, does the Pellet Boss possibly have a hidden glitch that's causing the problems?

SmokinJA

I don’t have a Mak yet so I’m interested in hearing the resolution to this. If it’s been going on this long I would thing a replacement unit would be given by now. With the grill never really working properly and getting to temperature it seems to be the brain that’s not doing it’s job. These are fairly simple parts ( motors, fans and an igniter ). I have a hard time believing it’s the igniter if it’s been replaced several times. Seems to be either electrical or the computer. I would hope after 3 or four replacement parts it would be replaced IMO.

Last edited:

jabe999

Do you have an iPhone? We can use Facetime to allow you to show me your MAK and what it's doing while it's coming up. Would be happy to help.
Thanks, but I have an Android phone. I actually got it to 400 degrees this morning in only 45 minutes. Just frustrated. I clean it regularly. I empty the pellets into a bucket with a lid and keep them inside so they do not collect moisture.
The last time i tried to do a pork butt, it flamed out three times over the 10 hour period. Not sure if it is the grill or me.

rwalters

Man, I'd be banging my head on the wall with those problems... IF I couldn't get them resolved. But the whole thing doesn't make sense. There's only a small handful of possibilities. 3 years and no solution...I am confused. My experience with MAK started 2 years ago when I bought a used 2011 MAK 1 Star. The old thing was a workhorse. Never had a single issue with it. Loved it so much that I sold it and bought a 2017 2 Star. Again, runs absolutely perfect! Just want to encourage you to call MAK and share your frustration and desire to once and for all get this resolved. Let them know how badly you want to LOVE your MAK! Having a really hard time believing they won't have your back :)

jabe999

Man, I'd be banging my head on the wall with those problems... IF I couldn't get them resolved. But the whole thing doesn't make sense. There's only a small handful of possibilities. 3 years and no solution...I am confused. My experience with MAK started 2 years ago when I bought a used 2011 MAK 1 Star. The old thing was a workhorse. Never had a single issue with it. Loved it so much that I sold it and bought a 2017 2 Star. Again, runs absolutely perfect! Just want to encourage you to call MAK and share your frustration and desire to once and for all get this resolved. Let them know how badly you want to LOVE your MAK! Having a really hard time believing they won't have your back :)
I agree that all of my phone calls to MAK have been met with a desire to help. All parts have been replace promptly at no charge. I spend my first 30 days owning this grill talking to MAK about how to get it to 400 degrees. We went through everything about how I put it together,etc. Nothing worked. Thanks for your advice. I will try talking to them again.

MAK DADDY

We are here to help as always please give us a call and we will do our best to make sure your grill is working properly.
sounds like you may have a bad Thermocouple but its hard to tell without further info.

SmokinJA

This situation is making me nervous about buying a Mak. As many things that have been tried and no solution I would think at the very least the unit could be sent back to be serviced. Like me I’m sure there are plenty of ppl on the fence and this seems like an opportunity to make this right and at the same time win over more costumers.

MAK DADDY

This situation is making me nervous about buying a Mak. As many things that have been tried and no solution I would think at the very least the unit could be sent back to be serviced. Like me I’m sure there are plenty of ppl on the fence and this seems like an opportunity to make this right and at the same time win over more costumers.

We always make things right with our customers, each individual has their own situation that isn't fully explained in a forum post of frustration and we would never post publically service dialog done in private.
If you own a MAK for 3 years or 7 years (and counting) we are always here to help make sure its working properly and you understand how it is designed to operate. There are only 5 working parts in a MAK Grill (Auger motor, Fan, Controller, Igniter & Thermocouple), all are easily replaced if faulty. The Grill itself (all metal parts) is held to tolerances of .010" when manufactured, meaning every MAK is identical. The variables are pellets, air flow, cleanliness, food, weather etc. which we do an amazing job controlling for the best possible results.

We have continuously innovated the components and grill features year after year including now a lifetime guaranteed igniter (Flash Fire).

There is a reason for our reputation for the best quality products and the service to stand behind our brand.
You don't have to buy a MAK, there are other choices out there but if you do I promise you will not be disappointed!

SmokinJA

I don’t doubt the dedication of Mak. I have only to read the reviews to see that you have a great product. Don’t take my comment the wrong way but not everyone has the mechanical ability to replace the parts you have discribed. All that I’m trying to understand is if there is point where Mak will take a unit back for a replacement or for a professional to diagnose and replace a defective part? I appreciate your detailed reply.

MAK DADDY

No, we do not have service techs that will make house calls, if you have a part that fails you would need to replace it on site. We do have easy tutorial videos, written instructions and of coarse can walk you through it over the phone. We haven't found a customer yet that was unable to change out a part on our grills. We even send an Allen wrench pack with every grill so you have the right tools for the job. If you are local and want to bring in your grill we will absolutely help you out here at the factory but most folks are far away.
The grill is designed with this in mind and has easy access panels and tags for identification of components.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Let me hop in here. I have been with MAK since day one. Seriously we started our ventures in bbq at the same time. As many of you know I also own a company that makes over 200,000 products a day and sells to 120 countries. Bob and his entire family has made themselves available seven days a week to customers....and any of you in customer service know that a good percentage of issues are the customer.

Forums are invaluable and for most a very constructive place to get advice and share knowledge. They also can defame and hurt a manufacturer. Understand that this post is one of hundreds on here...it just so happens to be a negative one. We dont delete them. I ask that you weigh the positive ones with the same weight as this one if it is affecting your decision to purchase a MAK. Overwhelmingly the MAK is the finest product Big Poppa Smokers sells...especially after the sale.

Top Bottom