Which pellet smoker if cost is not a limiting factor?

mschoonmaker

I'm going to be moving into a new home in the spring, and I get to rig up an outdoor (built-in) kitchen of my own choosing. As you might expect it's "gotta look good" per the wife, but I'm only going to get to do this once!

I enjoy smoking on my little old Bradley electric smoker but am ready to step up to pellets. I also have a need to sear (I do a lot of sous vide cooking as well). I'm open to a smoker only unit and add something like an Alfresco Sear Zone next to it as well

Been thinking Memphis Elite or MAK 3 Star or Yoder YS640 or ???

Pros/cons of one over the other, or even something else??

mcschlotz

All three are quite viable but IMHO the best is the MAK. These units are extremely well made in the USA and simply work every time. You have to look long and hard to find anyone who is not completely pleased with their MAK. I'm going on year 4 with my 2 Star and wouldn't trade it.

Matt

mschoonmaker

mcschlotz thanks very much!

So, I contacted MAK and they sent me a drawing of both the MAK2 without legs and a MAK3 built in. They then stated,

"Attached are the dimensional drawings for our 2 & 3 Star Grills. The 2 Star would require some special configuration due to the fan/access panel on the left end of the grill, plus the 2 quart grease drawer on the right underside of the grill body. As well as the exhaust vents on the Warmer/Smoker box (right end of the bbq). We recommend having at least a 2 inch air gap round the left and right sides of the 2 Star and 3 inches at the back for both grills. The 3 Star fans are on the front of the grill so that does not pose an issue. However, you do need to be aware of the pellet hopper dump chutes under the 3 Star."

They also stated that the drawings sent to me were the only ones they had. It sounds like the MAK2 as a built-in is an afterthought AT BEST.

HOPEFULLY someone has a better plan for the MAK2 as a built-in...

There was a post of a guy named Smokeslinger on here who did an awesome build-in with a 2 star. His pictures don't show up in the post anymore. It was posted by Scooter. Maybe he can get a hold of the pics. It was damn nice!

mschoonmaker

Thanks wolverines, I did see that pic, and you’re right it was bad ass. One might suspect that he owned the 2 Star and designed the kitchen around what he had, as it seems that it would be a real challenge to design up a kitchen for a special grill not intended for being built in!

Go Blue (just taking a guess...)

Go Blue definitely!!
& Your welcome! Many of the perks of this forum. Lots of knowledge and some really nice people on here. I see only 3 posts. So welcome to the forum!

I guess if money isn't an issue. I would get a 3 star for your built in!! Can't wait to see the pictures. Keep us updated!

TentHunter

Just my opinion, but I'd stay away from the Yoder. I know two people, personally, who got them and didn't like them. One issue is the extra thick steel is NOT necessarily an advantage. And the large chamber is only an advantage IF you cook for larger groups a lot. Otherwise between the thick steel and the large chamber, it takes longer to warm up, which translates to higher pellet consumption.

You mentioned you want to be able to sear/grill. If grilling is the most important, then the Memphis line is known for excellent grilling (because of their insulated lid) but not so great on smoking.

I think you need to call MAK and/or Big Poppa Smokers and ask about the grilling capabilities of the 2 Star versus the 3 Star. I can tell you for a fact that the 1 and 2 stars with the newly designed 2017 FlameZone kit are grilling beasts AND great smokers, so the 2 Star is truly an all-in-one grill/smoker!

Here is a review I did on the new 2017 FlameZone so you can get and idea of how well it works:

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...e-searing-grate-griddle-detailed-review-8450/

Another thought about the 2 Star is they do offer a cabinet door which mounts on the front and gives it a more built-in look. You could simply build your cabinetry and leave a space to slide a 2 Star in place.

Again, just some thoughts and my 2¢ worth. Welcome to the forum! :)

mschoonmaker

Tenthunter thank you for your reply.

I’m really really trying to find a way to like the 2 Star, but the built in limits continue to get in the way. I looked at the 3star as well, but that’s a bit large (new home is being built in a retirement community, so I’m trying to “scale down” a bit). In fact it seems the 2star as a built in is even larger than the 3star!

scooter

Dang! I forgot Photobucket is holding my images ransom! :(
You're gonna have to imagine the most awesome outdoor kitchen imaginable built around a MAK 2 Star!!!

TrickyDick

I was in a similar dilemma.

I wad doing a complete outdoor kitchen add-on. I wanted a grill and side burner. I had spec'd an Alfresco Gasser. I learned about the MAK before it went in and changed to a built-in pellet unit.

Options for me back then (2008??) were memphis elite or the recently announced Mak 4 star.

I must say I am highly impressed with the 4 star. It is large and takes time to heat up. The sear grate is necessary for searing i will say, and does better than a cast iron griddle on the grates that I'd been using before that option.

Clean-up on an occasional basis is much work due to the size, but the design makes it relatively easy, except for the lid.

Overall, its the best grill by far I've ever bought or used. I wish you luck in your decision. Get a built-in MAK if you can and be sure to allow for removal easily for cleaning purposes if you can. The Mak 2 star has option for cold smoking which is a huge advantage to me now. Something to think about, because you'll want to do that once you've got a dedicated smoker

TD

Top Bottom