MAK Configuration and Accessories Questions

SmokeytheBear

Hi everyone. New member - thanks to all for contributing to such a quality forum.

After many years of frustration with poorly made Traegers (Costco), I'm stepping up to a better made product. I have another gas grill, so I'd be using the smoker primarily for smoking/roasting (i.e., searing is nice, but not critical).

I've pretty much convinced myself to spend up to a Mak. Probably a Mak 2 - I like the idea of the warming/smoking box as well as the more durable stainless.

Mak-1 might work since the searing isn't critical for me and then I suppose I could use the saved money on a Cambro to replace the warming drawer.

FYI - I was looking at the Memphis Pro and even the Cookshack PG500 - but it seems like those offer better searing in exchange for slightly poorer smoke. Considered Yoder and Rectec as well - obviously less money but I'm willing to spend a bit more for the quality.

So my question is this - what "accessories" do people here recommend adding to a Mak? Here is what I've got in mind as POSSIBLE purchases - would love some feedback since adding all/most of these will make the purchase even more spendy. Obviously, I can buy things over time . . . that's what Father's Day is for.

Upper Grate - seems like a no brainer - leaning towards 3/4 rather than full.

Cover - I'm planning to store outside, so seems like a requirement even though I live in a mild climate (So Cal). But maybe I can get a "generic cover" somewhere else?

Wfi adapter - I think I'd use it, but have read a few posts that it doesn't work great. Is it true that if the wifi disconnects, the unit reverts to smoke? That would be an issue for me since the smoker will be on the edge of my wifi range.

Front Shelf - Not sure I need this?

Cabinet doors - seems like a luxury add.

Extra probes - can I use probes from other manufacturers (i.e., Thermoworks).

Anything else I should consider?

Any input is appreciated (including suggestions for other smokers I should consider).

Thanks!

TentHunter

First of all, Welcome to the forum!

If you don't want to mess around with poor quality, shortcuts, the need for adding a downdraft baffle, etc. then don't play around; Get a MAK! The unique features of a MAK (FlashFire Ignitor, superb controller, etc.) make it worth every single penny.

If you want a truly all-in-one smoker/grill ready to go, then go with the 2 Star. The newly re-designed 2017 FlameZone makes the MAK a grilling beast, as well as a great smoker.

Here's a write-up I did on the New FlameZone so you can see how well it works: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/mak-ce...e-searing-grate-griddle-detailed-review-8450/

Accessories: Definitely get an upper rack; either a 3/4 or full upper rack. I almost went with a 3/4 upper rack, but opted for the full upper rack and am glad I did. I love and use it often!

SmokeytheBear said:
Extra probes - can I use probes from other manufacturers (i.e., Thermoworks).
As far as I know, only the MAK probes to work with a MAK. Bruce (MrBBQ) or MAK Daddy can answer this for sure.

WiFi Adapter: This one is somewhat subjective. It's a great feature IF you think you would use it. I personally don't have the WiFi adapter, because I'm not sure how much I would actually use it.

Keep in mind that Wireless "N" is itself part of the issue with WiFi range. It does NOT carry as far as the Wireless "G" because it doesn't penetrate walls as well. If I were to get the WiFi, I would invest in a second router and set it up as a repeater closer to the MAK.

If you are unsure, then the good news is you can always skip it for now and add it later if you so choose!

Front Shelf & Cabinet doors: Totally optional.

SmokeytheBear said:
Anything else I should consider?

I would highly recommend looking at the MAK Searing Grate and the MAK Griddle (I show these in the FlameZone wright-up I linked to above). I think the MAK Griddle is extremely versatile and very underrated. I love mine!

Don't be afraid to call Big Poppa Smokers, or MAK Grills and ask questions.

Cliff

onionhead

I agree with Tent (Cliff) who has a lot of experience. I have the MAK 2 and have discovered (and my neighbors, too) how much I like smoked cheeses! A great feature. I have the wifi and use it as much as I can and I feel lost if I don't use it. The FlashFire is a game changer, but you won't know because it is now standard issue. I have two halves for my upper grills, and the half does come in handy, too. It is very easy for me to recommend the MAK 2!

jimsbarbecue

Upper rack. I would get the half and the full. The WiFi we use in the winter months the most. Good wifi is important. We use a google mesh wifi with one pod outside near the smokers. We have a blank flame zone cover that we use a lot and would recommend.

Crocboy

I just got my MAK 2 a week ago. I bought the cover and I think it is a wise investment to protect the grill and keep everything dry. I also got the searing grate, which works great. I bought the door, again to protect the accessories you can store under the grill. You won't be disappointed when you experience the quality and functionality of the MAK 2; it's well worth the premium price. I use a remote wireless probe thermometer along with the MAK probe and it works fine to remotely monitor food temp. I'll probably drop some hints around home to see if Santa will bring the wifi remote!

Top Bottom