PID controler question

jeeps

Earlier this summer I purchased a new Louisiana Grills CS 570. This is not my first pellet grill, but it is my first pellet grill with a PID controller. The first 6 or 8 cooks I hated it. I would start the grill, set the temp to 225, and within 20 minutes the temp would sore to 285 and then take forever to come back down to anywhere near the set temp. Over an hour. Now after 15 or 20 cooks I start the grill, set the temp to 225, And the grill temperature slowly rises to about 235 and settles there. This takes about 30 minutes. Great! OK, now for my question. I have read that a PID controller's performance will improve after several cooks. Is that true or did I just have a bad dream or something?

scooter

I regret to inform that I have zero experience dealing with controller issues because my controllers are MAK Pellet Bosses which since 2009 have never given me an ounce of trouble. Not a hugely helpful response but definitely a sincere one. Hopefully someone with more experience with PID controllers will be along soon to assist.

jeeps

I regret to inform that I have zero experience dealing with controller issues because my controllers are MAK Pellet Bosses which since 2009 have never given me an ounce of trouble. Not a hugely helpful response but definitely a sincere one. Hopefully someone with more experience with PID controllers will be along soon to assist.
Thanks scooter. Main thing is it's cooking pretty good now.

TentHunter

Yes, PID controllers, from what I know, are suppose to get better after at least a few cooks. They learn and remember the various conditions that affect temp swings, etc. and adjust accordingly.

jeeps

Yes, PID controllers, from what I know, are suppose to get better after at least a few cooks. They learn and remember the various conditions that affect temp swings, etc. and adjust accordingly.
Thanks TentHunter. It seems to be cooking perfectly now. I've got two 8 pound pork shoulders on right now for Christmas Eve supper tonight with all the kids and grand kids. I'm taking your advise from another post. I smoked for a little over an hour at 180. I'm just now razing the temp to 250 to get a good bark. Then I'll wrap in foil, set the temp to 325 and finish. Do you add any liquid when you wrap in foil? Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for all your advise.

TentHunter

Thanks TentHunter. It seems to be cooking perfectly now. I've got two 8 pound pork shoulders on right now for Christmas Eve supper tonight with all the kids and grand kids. I'm taking your advise from another post. I smoked for a little over an hour at 180. I'm just now razing the temp to 250 to get a good bark. Then I'll wrap in foil, set the temp to 325 and finish. Do you add any liquid when you wrap in foil? Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for all your advise.

Yes, when I wrap I generally add a little apple cider vinegar (about 1/4 cup per shoulder). The foil juices mixed with the vinegar are like liquid gold. I always add some of them back into the pork once it's pulled, and THAT'S why I never have to worry about injecting! ;)

I've tried apple juice, but I think the vinegar helps to cut the richness of the fat so much better.

TentHunter

Do you use apple cider vinegar on brisket too?

Usually a little cider vinegar with either a little beer or whisky (bourbon or Jack Daniels) and just a touch of brown sugar (not much; just enough to balance it a bit). The foil juices make a great sauce to spoon over the brisket slices. Again the vinegar helps to cut the fat from the point end.

I also like to top the brisket with some onion slices when I foil. They caramelize slightly and man are they great with the brisket either on a sandwich or just with some slices.

Here's one I did a few years ago for a Church luncheon, with pics, etc.: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet...hurch-luncheon-3469/?highlight=brisket+onions

Trust me; the onions disappear quickly!

I do pretty much the same thing with a chuck roast as well. In fact we do Chuck roasts more often because I love pulled beef!

jimsbarbecue

Yes is the answer. The PID controllers . Do get better the more they are used , some also have a learn mode if needed. I am rebuilding 3 pellet grills that burned up in the California wildfires for a friend. Two of them will have pid controllers installed. The first one I am working on did just as you said, getting better the more it is used. For me this is strange as our MAK grills have always worked the same. Set the temp and that is where it goes to.

jeeps

Yes is the answer. The PID controllers . Do get better the more they are used , some also have a learn mode if needed. I am rebuilding 3 pellet grills that burned up in the California wildfires for a friend. Two of them will have pid controllers installed. The first one I am working on did just as you said, getting better the more it is used. For me this is strange as our MAK grills have always worked the same. Set the temp and that is where it goes to.

Thanks. I thought I may be loosing it. So the moral of the storry is 1. If at first you don't like your pellet grill, try try again. or 2. Just buy a mak and be done with it.;)

Top Bottom