My name is Brenda and I am an amateur smoker

insanityltd

I got a smoker as a Christmas gift. I know it sounds odd, but I made an off-handed comment to my mother about "I wish I could get a small smoker so I could smoke pig ears for my dog and quit getting charged $15 a pound for the pre-smoked ones at WalMart!" :p Well. that set it off and running. So here I sit with my new Christmas gift learning some things and trying experiments. So far my husband, kids and dog are enjoying the experiments.

So far I've done ribs (turned out delicious..even though my smoker is too small to do full racks without cutting them in 1/2 :mad: ) potatoes, (also good) pig ears for my 4-legged brat (sorry didn't try those, but he loves them. :rolleyes: ) and I'm making my first attempt at a ham this weekend.

My mom bought me a basic electric smoker (locker type). My step-dad smokes turkeys, so I've taken some pointers from him but so far I've already smoked a larger variety of things than he has although he's been smoking for 20 years. I'm buying the wood chips, not the pellets, since we don't have pellets sold around here. But so far I'm liking it so much, that if its not a passing fad, I'll be requesting a bigger and better smoker next Christmas! :cool: As much as my family LOVES smoked meats, I've got a feeling I've got a new hobby! :eek:

squirtthecat

Welcome! I started with a Electric Box smoker as well.. (still use it from time to time for controlled low temperature smokes)

Whereabouts in the Midwest? I'm from Central, IL....

CarterQ

Welcome aboard, great story on how you got your foot in the door! If your like the rest of us, it probably will not be a passing fad, you've come to right place to learn all about smoking. No matter the cooker most of the tips a techniques you see here will work. Just ask lots of questions and enjoy your new found hobby! BTW have you tried the pig ears for the pooch yet?

insanityltd

Yes, I've tried the pig ears for him. He is crazy over them! I left too much of the jowl on my first experiment and had to cut that off later. They are much smokier than the commercial brand. I guess I must have done something right since I have sat the commercial brand right next to my version on the floor for him. He picks mine first every time! ;-) Much like my kids, he loves his Mama's cookin'

insanityltd

We are in Southern Iowa. We've got some really experienced smokers around this area, but I'm thinking this is something I will really like to do.

My husband's uncle owns a huge trailer-pulled barrel smoker (this thing is about the size of a small transit bus..about 35' long and over 10' tall on the wheels ) and I've always been mesmerized by this humongous thing and now I'm getting my toes wet to see if maybe I can do it 1/2 as good as he does.

Rip

Welcome Brenda from your neighbor to the west. You'll find lots of great info here and friendly help too. Also be sure and check out the gallery at BigPoppaSmokers.com, lots of great recipes with pics and instructions.

ACW3

Welcome Brenda from North Carolina. Keep reading this site, because one of these days you will want a bigger, better way of cooking outside. Pellet cookers are really great. There are lots of people here that really know their "stuff".

Art

KimG SOW

Brenda if you live anywhere near Lamoni, I might be able to help you out with some pellets if you want some. My sister will be going to school there next year and we will be visiting.

Welcome to the board!

TentHunter

Welcome Brenda,

My pooch loves home smoked pig ears too :). Ahh, I see you already figured out to cut the fatty jowl section off after smoking them. One other piece of advice I learned the hard way; be sure to let them air dry for days until all moisture is gone and they're very hard before storing them in plastic bags. Otherwise they'll start growing things :p.

Can't wait to see what you can do with your new smoker!

Last edited:
Top Bottom