Rubbing Butts

CarterQ

Just curious, how far in advance does everyone put their rub on when smokin butts and shoulders? Right before, 12 hrs, 24 hrs, multiple days? What's the sweet spot or is it just personal preference? I usually am lazy and just rub and toss on the smoker.

Deb

All of the above, but like you most of the time I am lazy and put it on before it goes in the smoker.

KimG SOW

We try to do it at least a couple of hours before we put it on the smoker. Ideal for us is 6 to 8 hours.

sparky

to be honest with ya. i turn the smoker on. come inside, rub da butt. let grill come up to temp. butt on.

Bear

I have done the over night thing, but I couldn't tell any difference, so I just put the rub on, and straight into the smoker.

CarterQ

I have done the over night thing, but I couldn't tell any difference, so I just put the rub on, and straight into the smoker.

Yeah I have trouble telling the difference as well so I'm usually rubbing and then waiting for the smoker to get hot then away we go.

For those who go for the longer times what is your reasoning?

ITFD#15

I like to put my rub on early if I can at least 12hrs. But like everyone I have done the last minute thing too.
I think that the longer the the meat can sit with a rub on it. The more flavor will be in the meat?

TentHunter

Like Bear I couldn't tell any significant difference so for me, the rub goes on a cold butt and onto the smoker.

I've read that in a dry marinade, the salt penetrates the meat (because of osmosis). But otherwise its not until the spices/herbs and meat heat up and release their oils that the oils then co-mingle and flavor the meat. Same with sausage; even though its mixed in until its heated the herbs can't release their oils. An example that was used was flavored oils.

Anyone else ever read or heard that?

KimG SOW

For those who go for the longer times what is your reasoning?

It also depends on the rub, how strong it is. For ours, I can tell a difference in the flavor of the meat when we rub it just before putting it in the smoker & letting it sit for at least 6 hours. There is a stronger, deeper flavor.

FLBentRider

I did an experiment once with a brisket.

I used wild willys number onederful rub.

I cut the brisket in half the long way, one half go the rub and a 24 hour rest in the fridge, the other half got the rub right before going in the smoker.

A blind taste test was issued to by family.

It was unanimous. everyone liked the 24 hour one better.

I think it makes more difference on a brisket than on a butt, due to the greater surface to mass ratio.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think that if you are using a salt heavy rub it actually can pull too much moisture if you leave it on too long

Candy Sue

Best pork butt I ever smoked was one that was mustarded up, rubbed, wrapped up and forgotten in the meat drawer for a week. When I found it, it smelled okay so I cooked it. The flavor was awesome (no injection). Last year I taught a cooking class and showed everyone how I do a contest butt. Injected, rubbed and wrapped it up. No time to cook it. 2-3 days later a friend cooked it up. Next time I saw him at a contest he demanded to know what I did to that butt. I really think it was the time that made the difference. I did not put a bunch of injection powder for this flavorful mix -- since I knew the butt was going to sit.

Ricker

Done both as far as over night and a couple of hours prior to cooking. When I do it overnight, I will sprinkle again just before throwing into the cooker.

Trooper

I inject the pork. Let it sit on the counter for about two hours after injected.
Season with pork rub & into the smoker we go.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Trooper O/T If you were still activbe and pulled me over doing 55 in a 45 and I was wearing a MAK Smokers Hat...would you have given me a ticket? hahahah

I listen to trooper

cowgirl

I like to let the rub sit about 6 hours, but it does depend on the rub. Sometimes overnight injected and rubbed butts taste too "hammy" for me. :p:)

sparky

i like what TentH said. that you have to add heat to the juices of the meat to mix with the oils of the rub.

Top Bottom