Smoking a pork butt overnight

NJgunner

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to smoking, using a GMG Daniel Boone.

The last pork butt I smoked too roughly 10 hours. I smoked it until the stall and then used foil to finish, wrapped it in cloth and put in cooler for a few hours it was great.

I need a 6-7lb butt ready to eat for 1-2pm on Sunday.

What temp do you guys use overnight?

I was going to put it on around 10pm at 225F, wake up in the morning wrap and raise temp before putting in a cooler.

KJRsmoker

I always cook at 225F and wrap when the IT reaches 165. Back on smoker at 225F until IT reaches 195F. Then wrap in towels and put in cooler for 3-4 hours.

mcschlotz

Yup, bumping the heat to 300º once its been dbl wrapped in heavy Alum foil will work just fine. If the smoker won't go that high, put it in the oven. If using the oven, suggest placing the wrapped butt in an alum pan so any seepage is contained.

TentHunter

Yup, bumping the heat to 300º once its been dbl wrapped in heavy Alum foil will work just fine. If the smoker won't go that high, put it in the oven. If using the oven, suggest placing the wrapped butt in an alum pan so any seepage is contained.

What he said! :cool:

That's exactly what I do once pork shoulders have reached around 160°-165ish° and has gotten a decent bark. I do NOT look for ANY specific finish temperature, instead after they've been foiled for 2 - 3 hours I start checking for doneness by inserting a probe. If the probe slides all the way into the center with little to no resistance, then it's done. If it goes part way in and then hits resistance, then it needs more time, no matter what the thermometer says.

Once it's done and tender, you can pull/shred it right away, or let it rest wrapped in a cooler if you have extra time; it really doesn't matter. It's not like a steak or rib roast that still has connective tissues that need to rest. The connective tissues have already broken down so there's nothing left to rest.

Top Bottom