Pit Boss Pellets / Cookinpellets / Lumberjack Pellets

zueth

I have used Cookinpellets Perfect Mix, LumberJack Competiton Blend, and Pit Boss Competiton Blend. My favorite was cookinpellets, but they cost too much to ship unless you purchase them in bulk. I found Lumberjack at Dicks Sporting Goods, but lately, when I go to the store they are sold out. I came across PitBoss Pellets at Lowes for $16 for a 40lb bag which is a great price, but I don't think they provide as much smoke as others, burn a little quicker, and don't seem to provide as much of a smoke ring. Could just be my imagination, but have been happier with the results of the food that I have cooked when burning LJ and CP.

I looked online and found that Dicks offers shipping for free if your order is over $49 and this includes the 20lb bags of lumberjack pellets, so it would be $60for 80lbs shipped to the door.

I know that Cookinpellets offers free shipping if you purchase 7-40lb bags and it works out to $33 a bag and that price down if you buy 10 ($31 a bag) or 15 bags ($26 a bag). But I don't have a great need to have 400lbs of pellets in my garage.

Would love to get feedback from others on what they prefer to burn and best deals out there.

Mike Burke

I'm new to pellet grilling/smoking/cooking
I have only used Traeger Pellets and Lumberjacks.

I have noticed that I get OK flavor from the Traeger pellets, they burn clean and are sold local at a lot of stores. I guess I'm not real concerned about the cost, they seem to last a while and if I like them then its worth it.

I have noticed from the Lumberjacks pellets. Getting good flavor from them but they burn with a lot of ash.
Also sold from local store but didn't look at price really.

There is a guy local that sells Cookin Pellets and they are my next purchase. I am also going to try BBq'rs Delight pellets

I'm still looking for my favorite pellet. Fun trying different ones though.

dubob

Brand new myself and had the same questions about pellet selection. Started asking on 2 other forums and most preferred either Smoke Ring (40 miles away for me) or Lumber Jack (15 minutes from my house). My very first bag was Pit Boss Competition Blend from Wally World for $8.88/bag. That didn't give me a real strong smoke flavor and I found out it may be because it is 70% filler of non-flavor wood and only 30% flavor wood. The Lumber Jack products are 100% flavor woods with no fillers. Just now starting to use the LJ Comp MHC Blend now that the Pit Boss pellets have been used up.

Since I just bought my Camp Chef Woodwind SG with Sear Box, it was nice to see it was rated #1 in the link above that Lisa provided. The Woodwind SG is an upgraded model over the PG24DLX Deluxe Pellet Grill and Smoker listed in the link.

Last edited:

dubob

If you have access locally, give CookinPellets a try. They're 100% flavor wood.
The CP website says there is a store that handles them about 20 minutes away from my home. I'll check with them on price. I can get the LJ pellets for $13/bag and just bought 4, so it might be awhile before I need more.

alexgrills

As a culinary Artistry I've used this Camp Chef Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ(PG24) & get result is awesome. It have maintained good flavor. This grill has full automation from start to clean the ash off & price are comparatively low than others pellet.It has tons of built-in features to facilitate the cooking process.It has built-in thermostatic control and a digital thermometer for Controlling temperature.Overall PG24 Camp Chef pellet is awesome & also affordable but it's need high power input to start.

dubob

The CP website says there is a store that handles them about 20 minutes away from my home. I'll check with them on price. I can get the LJ pellets for $13/bag and just bought 4, so it might be awhile before I need more.
Stopped by that store and they don't stock the CPs in the store. They would have to order them in. I'll just stick with the LJ pellets for the time being.

Top Bottom