Food Safety..Good handling Tips

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think we will make this a sticky

Hey we are all loving our hobby...sport..obsession. But there are some pretty basic rules of thumb to make sure that we don't mess up and get everybody sick.

Start in the market. Do you meat shopping last. Make sure that the box boy or if you are bagging your self that you separate the different meats and for extra safety put in a separate plastic bag in side the normal bag....Especially poultry. Fi you aren't cooking it right away gut it in the fridge.

Defrosting. The safe ways are to use the fridge, or in a pot of cold water. Cold. Not warm, not hot. Change the water every thirty minutes. The microwave is sort of ok but if you use it cook it right away.

The Danger Zone...From 40-140F your food can become a bacteria farm. It is important that you keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot. Many ask about smoking and the potential of bacteria starting in the slow cook through the danger zone....no worries and you will get it too an eventual temp that will kill all bacteria anyway.

Prep.

Wash Hands
Wash Hands
Wash Hands
Or use disposable gloves.
If you are using paper towels discard and don't leave on the same counter top or cutting board. Use disposable cutting boards or dishwasher safe boards and never use the same for different meats of veggies. Cross contamination is the number one cause of food borne illnesses. Use separate knives and dishes and plates used during prep or wash with very hot water between preps.
Clean your sponges regularly buy immersing in hot water and then microwaving for 20 seconds
The five-second rule for dropped food is a myth. If you drop it feed it to the dog or dispose of it.

Fruits and veggies must be washed...even if you don't eat the skin. Bacteria can hide in fruits like cantaloupe skin and be introduced to the food by the knife cutting it.

Purists like to look down their noses at us thermometer wielding cooks but it is not only good for figuring out when its done...its also letting us know when it safe.

The temps that are safe

165 Poultry, soups stock
160 Hamburger meat, Cubed meat, pork
145 Steak

Now I break those rules on Pork Tenderloin (145) and Steak (135) regularly...but to be safe these are the guidelines

Marinating Do you marinating in the fridge or vacuum tumbler not the counter top. If you are going to use some of the marinade as a sauce or a glaze at the end of the cook, then reserve some at the beginning before you add the meat.

Reheating. Reheat all food to 165 internal and do not let drop below 140 before serving (see danger zone)

Cool down...use shallow containers and refrigerate.

If meat is left out throw it out. Good rule of thumb.

I will add to this and Im sure that I have missed something....Add away.

In the end we want the experience to be safe and healthy!

Trooper

Be careful when using shaker jars. They need to be cleaned up regularly and used properly.
When rubbing meats, I like to pour a quantity of rub into a bowl and then work from the bowl with my fingers.
Rather than going from rubbing meat & going back & forth to a shaker jar several times, as I have seen some do.

KimG SOW

Be careful when using shaker jars. They need to be cleaned up regularly and used properly.
When rubbing meats, I like to pour a quantity of rub into a bowl and then work from the bowl with my fingers.
Rather than going from rubbing meat & going back & forth to a shaker jar several times, as I have seen some do.

What we do is put rubber gloves over the shakers. One hand for the jar and one for the meat. But just in case the bottle is covered, just remove and throw away. ;)

txpgapro

And go take a Food Safety/Managers class. Some competitions require it now. I've got a Texas State Food Managers certificate that is good for 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

Man oh man, My wife or kids will tell you I am fanatical about cross contamination cooties!

Thank you Trooper! :) That one makes me shudder every time I see it being done!

Folks handle meat (with or without gloves) only to turn right around and pickup a bottle of mustard, rub, etc... YIKES!!!!! You just spread bacteria all over that bottle.

Like Trooper, BEFORE I handle the meat I'll dump what I think is just enough rub, mustard, etc. into a small bowl or shaker and keep the original bottles away from the meat. If I need more I'll stop & wash my hands first or ask someone else with clean hands to get me more. If using a bowl, then be sure to DISCARD what little is left; you were touching it!

I bought a large shaker to use JUST for this purpose. I wash it after each use.

Great tip on putting gloves over the bottles Kim!

Last edited:

5 Hole

What we do is put rubber gloves over the shakers. One hand for the jar and one for the meat. But just in case the bottle is covered, just remove and throw away. ;)

"Shaker Condoms" Learned that from Todd and Andy at Todd's class last year. Very useful.

Top Bottom