Need Recommendation

MIgnogno

I am a long time Treager owner. My daughter in law asked my help in getting one for my son for his birthday. I did not realize they had outsourced manufacturing to China and have seen many negative reviews. Very disappointing.
Has quality suffered that much? If so, I need a recommendation for a similar pellet smoker grill.

Bear

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but Hearthland has 3 models in the Memphis line, and MAK has 2.

These are all made in USA.

I have the Memphis Pro, and couldn't be happier.

Big Poppa has some package deals that include some accessories that will make your smoking a lot more fun.

Last edited:

So Cal Smoker

Take a close look at the MAK 1 Star or MAK 2 Star. Both are great pits and made in the USA. You can't go wrong with the MAK or Memphis. The cost is more but in the long run you'll be ahead of the game.

Rip

Welcome to the forum! I know someone who has been selling Traegers for years and he said they did have issues following the move to China but had worked them out and reliability was now on par with the early years. I believe there are members of this forum who have purchased Traegers in the last 12 months and used them a lot, perhaps they will chime in. I have only had mine three weeks, so far so good. :)

That said, while much is owed to Traegers for starting pellet smoking, the MAK and Memphis lines would have to be considered next gen technology and offer many improvements in features and build quality, albeit at a higher price.

Anyone answering the phone or email at BigPoppaSmokers will be an expert who can help you with your decision.

sparky

i own a memphis pro and love it. cooked some of the best food ever on it. but, i am saving up to buy a mak 2 star also for my son. both grills do different things. it just depends on how your like to smoke partner. :cool:

Last edited:

MIgnogno

Thanks for that info. Knowing the former quality of Traeger, I would think they would not let issues continue. I will wait to see what other recent Traeger purchasers have to say.

Carter13

I bought a Traeger Jr a couple months ago and it has cooked some great meat. I am still working through the temp swings but other than having to babysit it is awesome for the price.
If I could get my wife on board I would buy a Mak since it is made up here in the great Northwest.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I dont have anything negative to say about Traegers. They cook great food...

There are just a few more advanced systems out there...It depends on your budget

Trooper

I am a MAK two star owner. I would give serious consideration to the one star. Might be a great gift.
I find that I don't use the warming area on the Two Star much at all.

squirtthecat

I have a 'chinese' Traeger Lil' Tex (not quite 2 years old - haven't had a lick of trouble with it) and a MAK 1 Star. They both are great entry level smokers.

Wileycat

My Traeger Adventure today (posted) reveals that in at least the wiring department, Chinese workmanship is superior to the original. I haven't found any other quality issues to complain about for a smoker in this price range.

MIgnogno

Thank you

I want to thank everyone for your respones and advice as well. Hearing from a wide variety of pellet experts is great. I have passed along all comments and suggestions to my daughter n law. I will let you know what she / we decide.

Pigstar

Have had a 075 since 08/10. Although mine came from China, I have had no problems even with the hot rod. I did add some fire bricks to the belly, but no further modifications. I got a great deal on mine being a RMBBQA member and have burned lots of various pellets using all manufactures and flavors. Would recommend Traeger.

Wileycat

I've had my Traeger for only a month. If wiring is any measure of quality, the Chinese-made is excellent. Overall, I haven't found any significant shortcomings. If you decide to get a Traeger, I highly recommend the digital control over the standard three-speed. It makes temperature control a snap.

Top Bottom