Pork sausage smoking question

ht01us

I'm champing at the bit waiting for my Mak 2 Star to get shipped. Ordered just before the end of the year; should be shipped next week.

I've got my first few cooks planned. I'm going to be doing some chicken quarters (~ 10 lbs thighs/legs) for some pulled chicken sandwiches. I figure these will take 2 - 3 hours at 225. I've done these on my gas and charcoal grills using pellets for smoke; I'm looking forward to having this be a good reference point for me.

Anyway, I'm getting the full upper rack with the General and figured I might as well load it up with some various flavors of pork sausage links . How long should I plan for them to get done. Assuming I want things to come out more or less at the same time, should I put them on before the chicken, at the same time, or after?

Of course with the warmer tray on the right, I can keep things warm if one or the other gets done early; but I want to plan a little.

Thanks

MAK DADDY

Hi ht01us, it will really depend on how thick the sausages are but I would put them on early at that low of a temperature. I usually cook both chicken parts and sausages at 400 degrees for better skin but I can see how the low and slow will yield some nicely smoked meat!
Couple things to keep in mind with the MAK vs. gas, their is convection air moving all around the food so you won't have to turn it at that temperature. Also the temperature will be a true 225 degrees with no outside influence (pellet grills are not vented nearly as much as gas grills and the fan causes a positive pressure inside) so you will find it is not the same as 225 on your gasser dial.

Keep us posted on how it turns out, and welcome to the MAK Family!

ht01us

Thanks for the feedback Doc (Mak Daddy = MD = Doc?). I think I'll have pretty thick sausages, so cooking for the same time as the chicken will be the plan.

Thanks also for the thoughts on the differences between the smoker and the gasser. Certainly when I cooked this recipe on the charcoal grill with a pellet packet; the temp started much higher, probably close to 400, then cooled as the time went on. So this will be very different. It will be nice not to flip/turn and what-not. My plan is put them in; put a probe in one; set the program; then go inside and make the sauce.

I've got 80 lbs of pellets, accessories; I'm looking forward to the General taking its place on the deck.

Top Bottom