Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

Rip

Yesterday I decided to work off a few of the items I've been collecting on my "Must Try" list.

Ever since last week's contest I've had visions of the ribs Sparky posted (and that shiny sculpture..uh, I mean new smoker). In a previous smoking life, bad ribs (my bad ribs) kept me from becoming someone who smokes...so, leaning heavily on previous posts by Bear and Sparky, I faced down my (pre-pellet smoking) failures and bought three slabs of back ribs.

I removed the membrane, applied rub, and let sit for an hour before cooking at 225.

2 1/2 hours - naked
1 hour - foiled with brown sugar, honey, and butter pats (opening this was like heaven)
30 min - covered with sauce (was going to do 30 naked, 30 sauced, but they were too close to done coming out of the foil)

Sorry about the tong marks, I knew I wasn't entering these in the weekly comp
IMG_1710sm.jpg

The verdict? Simply awesome! Another dragon slayed.

How to top this? With dessert!

Copying Cowgirls "Apple Smoked Apple Dumplings", (as found on BigPoppaSmoking gallery under Appetizers), was high on my list of must trys.

We have a gadget which cores, peels, and spiral cuts apples, so we used this and just stacked the spiral cuts in groups with the brown sugar and cinammon sprinked on each.

Otherwise, this is Cowgirl's recipe.

Ready to smoke, 275 for a bit, then 300, ~1 1/2 hours
IMG_1708sm.jpg

The finished product
IMG_1714sm.jpg

The verdict: OMG, if you haven't tried these yet, get going! They were fantastic!
Thanks Jeanie!!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Rip you are experiencing exactly what I had hoped people would do when I put these things together. De mystify cooking and rewarding people that didnt think they could cook before!

sparky

dude, rip. enter this food this week. killer ribs partner. look how the meat pulled away from the bone. nicely cooked. love the apple dumplings. jump right into the fire. love it. keep going. just get a bigger belt. :cool:

cowgirl

Rip everything looks wonderful!!! Love those ribs and so glad to hear that you liked the dumplins. :D
btw I'm only 5'6".... lol

You're a master smoker whether you know it or not! :cool:

Rip

I've had a lot of hobbies and been on a lot of forums..this place is special. You folks and the other regulars have been my BBQ mentors.
Thanks! And thanks to BP for creating and nurturing this forum!

Top Bottom