BIG MAK Turkey

MAK DADDY

My son's roommate's (4 starving college kids) parents bough a 25lb turkey and couldn't fit it in their roaster. So they brought it to me to cook on the MAK of coarse :)
Decided to smoke it low n slow all night using the Remote Boss to monitor.
Put it on around 8PM, Remote alarm goes off at 1AM flashing "flame out", I get up to see what's wrong, go outside and lift the hopper lid. Crap! I forgot to add pellets :(
Added some Pecan and back to sleep. Without the remote this Turkey would have went to the landfill...
Pulled at 10AM and into the fridge, My son picked it up that night and about an hour later I get the phone call. "This is AWESOME" I hear from all of them in the background :)

DSC_6045.jpg

DSC_6047.jpg

MAK DADDY

Thanks Jeanie, I needed rescue :)

When cooking at such low temps the breast and thigh run pretty close to the same temp so 180 it had to be.
Have you given up yet, don't make me sick Meat Head on you :)

MAK DADDY

To be honest I have found even cooking at my normal higher temps that the dark meat turns out better when it gets to 190, this over cooks the breast a little but nothing off the MAK is dry!

Safe cooking temperature for birds is 180 in the thigh.

KimG SOW

One of the great things about bbq.... you can make it to your personal taste. If you like it.... that's all that matters.:)

You could always inject the breasts to help them from drying out.

MAK DADDY

Yes indeed, never had a dry bird off the MAK though :)
I did inject with butter once, seem's to be localized to much in birds. Maybe the meat is not as pourous as beef & pork?.

KimG SOW

MAK - did you use only butter? or did you mix it with something?

I would use clarified butter (get rid of the fat, which won't absorb into the meat) and mix it with some chicken stock. I think it would 'soak' into the chicken better.

TentHunter

I would use clarified butter (get rid of the fat, which won't absorb into the meat)

Not trying to be disagreeable here, but seriously inquiring. Doesn't clarified butter get rid of the milk solids and water and leave only the butter fat to give it higher smoking point?

I've used herb infused clarified butter as a poultry injection and its pretty dang tasty :)!

Last edited:

KimG SOW

Not trying to be disagreeable here, but seriously inquiring. Doesn't clarified butter get rid of the milk solids and water and leave only the butter fat to give it higher smoking point?

You are right. I should have gone back to bed this morning. LOL! :eek:

It gives a great flavor when you get rid of solids & water. We love using it for many things.

Top Bottom