How to select the best rach of ribs

ITFD#15

I was out today to pick up some nice back ribs for the Traeger this weekend (sparky is the cause of that. thanks).
Had to go to a couple of places to find back ribs..
Most only had side ribs.
But anyhow that got me thinking about how to select the best ribs back or side and how to choose one rack from the other?

TentHunter

Loin Back Ribs versus Spareribs (side ribs) I think really comes down to personal preference. I prefer spareribs because I like trimming them to a St. Louis cut and can use the leftover cuts for other things. I feel I get a lot more bang for my buck.

As far as selecting them, I look for decent marbling and also look at how much meat is on the ribs (thickness).

scooter

I go right for the racks with the most marbling of fat then out of those I look for the racks that are a uniform thickness but not too thick. I stay away from the ones that are real thick at one end and normal thickness on the other. They'll never cook evenly

sparky

I go right for the racks with the most marbling of fat then out of those I look for the racks that are a uniform thickness but not too thick. I stay away from the ones that are real thick at one end and normal thickness on the other. They'll never cook evenly

i agree with scooter.

txpgapro

I concur with the others but their is one more factor that I always consider. Now this is only important for competition cooks but I usually buy 8 or more racks at a time. That one important factor is bone size, height and width with no curvature. Be sure to pick a rack with all the bones straight up and down and not slanted either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITFD#15

Thanks everyone for the informative post. Looks like I am going to be smoking about 6 racks of back ribs and as well a bunch of sausage.
The sausage is a new one for my so we will call this a practice round and see how it turns out.

Top Bottom