Pastrami

nepas

Been away for awhile with other things.

Anyways

Have had a brisket flat being done into a pastrami. Today i think going to git-r-done MAK style. Supposed to be a storm snow dumper coming in.

Made up my dry pastrami mix. Mix this up good so you dont have any clumps. Set aside. This was done on the 20th if my gray matter serves me right :eek:
DSC00180.jpg

Next i cut the packer in half and trimmed the fat back some. Save the trim for sausage making :cool: Some say oh no use the whole packer for pastrami, no use the point, Ahhhh calm down...EH :D
DSC00181.jpg

Coat the brisket with the dry on all sides. You might have some of the rub left but no biggie.
DSC00183.jpg

Now put the pastrami into a zip lock bag and take as much air as you can out. I also wrapped clear wrap around the zip lock. Let the pastrami fridge rest for 3-4 days or longer if you can :D
DSC00184.jpg

This morning i am going to rinse the pastrami in cold water and soak in cold water for 45 mins. Empty the water and re peat for another 45 mins. This will reduce some of the saltiness. After i will pat the pastrami down with paper towel and apply a dry rub.

More pics to follow.

ACW3

I can't wait. I LOVE pastrami. I made a "quick" pastrami a while back from a recipe that involved starting with a corned beef. It was really good. The problem was, however, that I didn't get enough meat. We ran out way too soon. I will see how yours works out. I may have to give this a try, too. You have already hooked me on making sausages, why not learn from the Master. Keep up the great postings.

Art

nepas

Minor set backs.

Well i wanted to put the pastrami on my MAK, But the controller dont like -2* so i didnt want to mess it up. No MAK today

SO

Go to the Lil'Tex..............Cr@ppers same problem. No Lil'Tex

OK Back up plan.

Get some lump out and smoke em.
DSC00246.jpg

While the lump is going here is the pastrami.

Unwrap that puppy.
DSC00238.jpg

Rinse it off good.
DSC00239.jpg

Now a cold water soak. First soak for 30 mins cold water, Empty and re fill for another 30.
DSC00240.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

Make a rub for it before into the MC.
DSC00242.jpg

Rub it down good.
DSC00247.jpg

Now on the MC for 3 hours at 200-225* Hopefully mother nature is good and wont dump no snow...yet.
DSC00248.jpg

nepas

I made up a 3 pound batch of GM pastrami for some sticks. Been in fridge for 3 days and i stuffed and smoking today.

And it taste like pastrami too.....WOOOHOOO

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

nepas

I had to step back and re think the pastrami. So i rubbed off the large dry, made more and did a grind, re applied and added a water pan to the bottom. Put more lump in and took the temp to 250*
DSC00251.jpg

Here is the finished pastrami.
DSC00254.jpg

And i got the pastrami sticks done. Doing a 2 hour bloom.
DSC00252.jpg

TentHunter

I'm liking this. Pastrami and Bacon are both on my things to try list.

Most Pastrami recipes I've seen call for a brine. What advantages do you find with a dry mix and what's typically in a dry mix?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Nepas...Thanks for posting Please dont be a stranger1` Love your participation ...How do you like the Meadow Creek?

sparky

how come the mak and the lil tex didn't work? won't they work in all kinds of weather? just wondering.

nepas

Nepas...Thanks for posting Please dont be a stranger1` Love your participation ...How do you like the Meadow Creek?

Try not to be, I just been so busy trying to get all this goose done. I like the MC, Have to re think things with the stick /lump burner not having any power like my MAK or Lil'Tex.

nepas

how come the mak and the lil tex didn't work? won't they work in all kinds of weather? just wondering.

Its just too dang cold for the electronics to start up, was -11 today. Guess if i could figure a wat to insulate the controls i wouldnt have a prob.

nepas

I'm liking this. Pastrami and Bacon are both on my things to try list.

Most Pastrami recipes I've seen call for a brine. What advantages do you find with a dry mix and what's typically in a dry mix?

I found the dry rub i can get the meat into the smoker/grill faster than i can with a brine. Prob both ways will have the same taste and the brine will make the meat moister.

nepas

Looks good even if not done with pellets.

TY Jim

Both the digital controllers on my MAK and Lil'Tex didnt want to work but the older switch type Traeger on my smokehouse works in this cold....Weird

I'm working on a pellet system for the MC, Not as fancy as BP MC

nepas

Pastrami $ Shot

I tried to keep all the slices even cut but me eyes just aint that great anymore.

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

ACW3

Nepas,
Those slices look okay to me. They will still make a REALL GREAT SANDWICH!! With all your toys, I am surprised you don't have a commercial slicer. I made a detour to a restaurant outlet yesterday. For a used Hobart slicer, they wanted $900. It would have taken two large guys to move this thing. Storing it would be another problem. Needless to say, I didn't buy one. I'll keep looking.

Art

Top Bottom