Smoked Chuck advice

CarterQ

Cooking for my son's birthday party this weekend (he's turning 4) and I was planning on doing pulled pork, now I find out that I have some non pork eaters coming as well, and being the nice guy that I am I'll do pulled beef.

Looking for some tips on smoked chuck or any other cut to get good pulled beef. I have done Chuck in the past and while not offensive it wasn't the greatest either. What are some of your ideas? temps, rubs, FTC? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Ssteppe

I tried a smoked chuck, treating it the same as a pork shoulder - I was very disappointed. The meat wasn't nearly as tender or juicy. I'd recommend foiling if you go the beef chuck route.

FLBentRider

This is what I did:

I took 2 chuck roasts, put them on the MAK until the IT was 150F.

Then I boated them in a foil pan with 1 cup of beef broth, covered with foil, continued to cook until an IT of 200F.

It was very moist.
DSC_0011Medium.jpg

When I did a chuck roast like I do pork butt (no foiling) I was disappointed in the results. Dry.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Same here except instead of beef broth for a braising liquid I like to use equal parts cider vinegar, brown sugar & beer. I also like to cover the chuck with sliced onions and let them braise with and flavor the beef. The onions make a great topping later on for the sandwiches.

CarterQ

Thanks guys, looks like the braising method is the way to go to get moistness. I have done them just like pork with mixed results. Unless the meat was extremely marbled they come out on the dry side. Does anyone use different cuts of beef rather than chuck?

TentHunter

Brisket Point is also great for pulled beef. Sirloin works well but can get a little pricey.

I think you chose right by going with Chuck. I think Chuck or Brisket Point is the way to go for pulled beef. They're from the same basic area of the cow (the Brisket being just underneath the chuck) so they both have a really good beefy flavor, the right amount of fat and are relatively inexpensive.

Can't wait to see pics of how they turn out! :)

CarterQ

OK First off I want to thank you all for your help. Did the chuck this weekend and it came out perfect, I will post a few pics but there weren't that many as I was playing host and referee to a bunch of munchkins running around the house!

Smoked it @225 until it hit an IT of 150, put it in a foil pan with some beef broth covered and cooked until it hit an IT of 205. Let it rest and then pulled. Came out juicy and tender and got lots of compliments.

Thanks again guys, you are all awesome!

Top Bottom