Mak 2 Star or FE 1000

sparky

getting ready to purchase my next pellet grill. have narrowed it down to these two. like features on both of them. don't be shy... speak out. pros and cons of each please. what do ya'll think? :cool:

jmeitz

I will speak up since i have owned both. I liked the mak but my issues were it took to long to get to 400 and had a hard time reaching a max temp of 425 or so. In the winter it sucked down the pellets since its not insulated. If you live in a warm climate not an issue. Since owning the fe1000 i dont think i would own another brand. Mak would be my next choice if i didnt have the fe. I think i will be the most unbiased review of both since i am not a dealer. The mak fit and finish is better than the fe and the controller is easier to use. The fe controller has more control on it as you can control the auger speed. The main thing i like on the fe is basically four cooking zones. Cooking over the open fire is not a myth, my wife agrees steaks are better. If you have more questions let me know. The new cookshack fe has non of the issues the danson version had.

jimsbarbecue

I think jmeitz is spot on here.Our MAK Grills will hit 425 without issue. After 425 it can be hit or miss on any higher temps. From Smoke to 425 no issues ever. We don't cook higher then that. When we grill we use the flame zone with success. They are different Pellet Cookers. The FE has that open fire grill zone and is the big feature of that grill. If that is important to you it would be your choice.If the low and slow Barbecue is more of what you cook the MAK is the one. If you look at my post in grill grates there is a photo of a steak I did on the grill grates with the MAK at only 350. We just don't high heat grill much.Either choice you will get a great unit.If you can see both in action that would help.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I have owned all three and their are neat features on all of them. I choose to sell the MAK and am very happy with that choice. It is a very versitile cooker with a ton of capacity great features like:
Flame Zone
856 inches of smoking capacity with the optional shelf
quick change pellet door
quick cleanout door for ash removal
warming drawer that is really a great feature that you probably dont think you will use until you have it
Pellet Boss fully programmable controller with buit in probes
Optional wireless Pellet Boss contolller
Designed and made by MAK in Oregon in the good old USA

These are just a few of the great features of the MAK and it is much less money than your other consideration.

scooter

Aside from the features BP outlined the thing that sets the MAK apart from the competition is the PelletBoss/Remote Boss remote controller. And don't forget the warming tray which you'll use more than you know for more than just keeping things warm.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Jeremie thanks for the rebuttal....but this site is an exchange of ideas and not a debate. We are going to avoid the point counter point that other forums use as a way of communicating. I am not going to specifically respond defending my post by knocking another product. It is very clear that for now you prefer your FE 1000. I prefer the MAK. The wonderful thing is that Sparky and other customers have choices. As long as you are smoking, it's all good.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Then edit your post...hahahah We will get you retrained in short order. All of us mod guys have talked about what goes wrong on these things. Scooter has extensive experience with a huge cigar forum and I have the Ernie Ball Forum that is much larger than most of these bbq forums. When you get into a "vs" situation people have a tendency to defend their choices by criticizing the other opinion/product and then the circle of negativity starts. On other forums somebody would come back from your rebuttal and tends up in a fight. Just state your opinion....let others have theirs and the readers will be able to decide which way to go.

Neither BPS, MAK or Memphis made you happy...we are all still friends. I'm glad you have the cooker for you...(i'm sure your wife is too!)

jimsbarbecue

Sparky if you lived closer I would let you borrow one of our MAKs to try out. Whatever you get post some food pron of your cooks. I think we are all looking for new ideas.

sparky

what i like about the mak grills is that they never have any problems. memphis has ITC issues and powercoat problems and fe 1000 has ash flying around them. i do like the fact the fe 1000 is insulated but my bbq guy in town pointed something out to me last week. the insulation you have in your house fads over time (looses it effectiveness). what will happen over time with the fiberglass on the fe 1000 over time. can't stay perfect. the seams on the fe aren't welded are they? doesn't look like it. just like bob from mak told me once that the insulation collects moisture over time. still like maks. one more thing, the cooking area on the fe 1000 seems small for the cost of the grill. looks like i am selling my '67 bug to get a mak. anyone want a '67 bug (vw blue, very rare).

Top Bottom