First Tri-Tip on MAK

DolphinLvr

Well this is not Only my First real cook but my first Tri-Tip As well tonight.

Used some EVOO and Pete's Firehouse rub! I let this sit in the fridge over night until this evening.
DSC_2308.JPG

DSC_2309.JPG

Onto the MAK on smoke setting for 2 1/2 hrs, then upped temp to 225 for about an hour.
DSC_2310.JPG

Pulled at an IT of 145 and resting
DSC_2314.JPG

All Sliced! Just how the wife likes it!
DSC_2315.JPG

And the Plate Shot!
DSC_2316.JPG

When I asked the wife about dinner, she commented "she liked it, but tasted too much smoke!" I felt that this wasnt the best tri-tip I have ever cooked. The next one will have a heavier layer of rub, will use another type of glue than EVOO and I will add more of a kick to the rub.

All in all it was good, and it was juicy!

Thanks for looking!

Jeff

DolphinLvr

The Smoke taste definately outweighed the seasonings. Not sure if it was because I used cherry or because I let it smoke for over 2 hrs or not enough seasoning on the meat.

It was still good, but I will be trying it a bit differently next time.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah remember that smoke is a seasoning...it is a part of your flavor profile..You had enough rub and your glue was fine...What so cal say or what you can do is cook it at 225 fdor and your and then bumpr it to 275 until your desired internal Temp. Also on your journey to perfection (?HUH? ) I find that you should only change one MAYBE two things...WHen you change everything you never learn which was the one!

DolphinLvr

Thanks BP! I am definately going to change the temps First!

Will cook at 225 for an hour then bump to 275 until desired IT

CarterQ

Looks good from here to, try it with oak for a true Santa Maria flavor. As for temps and technique you can't go wrong with any if these suggestions.

When I do tri tips I like to smoke until about 120 and then crank up the MAK to high and finish them off over the flame zone for a nice crust and pull at about 135 -140. Key to tri tip is always rest it for about 15 minutes. Resting can be the difference between success and failure when cooking tri tips.

TentHunter

That steak looks great!

I'm with Carter on this one... Go for the Oak; I can see where your family might not like the smoke flavor of cherry wood for steak.

My family is funny with steaks as far as smoke flavor goes too. For example, I'll do burgers using Hickory and they love it, but for steaks they turn their nose up at it. I now use either oak or Jack Daniels soaked oak pellets for steaks and they love it every time.

DolphinLvr

Thank you Cowgirl! I liked it, to me it just needed more flavor......and of course the smoke takes a lil bit to get used to when you havent had it really before!

Top Bottom