Fish Smell

tech1951

I have a bunch of Steelhead to take out of the freezer & smoke. I have been told that you should use a designated smoker for fish because once you smoke fish the smoker will make everything you smoke after smell & taste like fish.
Is that true? I would rather use my Treager than the old Big Chief I have laying around.
Thanks for the help !
Ray

TentHunter

Hmmm... Unless you're leaving fish juices or scraps in the smoker and not cleaning I don't see any probs.

I've cooked & smoked different kinds of fish as well as other seafood and have never had any problem like that. If you think about it, the same should hold true for ovens and I never hear anyone say to use a dedicated oven for baking fish.

I think its the info that smells a little fishy to me ;).

FLBentRider

I've heard that too, but I've smoked fish in my Bradley, and my pork butts don't get fishy.

Now I suppose if you smoke A LOT of fish, over a long time, that might be true.

Waitaminutehere..... "Honey, I need another MAK 2 star to smoke fish, according to the internet"

ACW3

I have been cold smoking steelhead trout on my MAK 2 Star without any "fishy smell" at all. I do dry brine the fillets to remove as much liquid from them as possible prior to smoking. My only problem has been that I can never smoke enough sttelhead. It disappears too quickly. FBR, I like your thinking. I may need to think about another smoker myself.

Art

Top Bottom