Big Poppa's Tip for Spouse who is "tired of BBQ"

Big Poppa

Administrator
So I know the game. We buy a pellet smoker..start cooking and the better half is watching critically....They see us all pumped up and obsessing over what are going to cook. They see us on forums and talking about this to new imaginary friends....They are
really picky about the food at first. but then you start taking pics of your food and they think you have lost your mind...Sound close?

Then they burst your bubble. "No BBQ Tonight!" Or "Smoked food again" Here is where you lay the groundwork...Stop referring to it as smoking or bbq. You are not smoking...you are not bbqing...you are "OUTDOOR COOKING IN YOUR WOOD FIRED CONVECTION OVEN" You explain that BBQ is goopy sauce and stuff...you are actually cooking with superior convection and not messing the house up.

You will win. I promise. What will follow is a family of food critics....mostly positive. The defining moment is when you are out for steak or a nice dinner with friends and your better half complains that the steak and the restaurant is inferior to what you cook at home. Then they talk about all the great stuff that is cooked outdoors with no mess.....

Ive seen this so many times and I love it when Im out to dinner and one of the wives/husbands that was sceptical is the one raving about how much better the food is at home.

You must understand that this is a process. If you follow my steps (hahahahahah!) you will work yourself up to the ultimate smokers perch. A family of judges and critics...except for when you go out to eat

KimG SOW

And for your kids who say the same thing..... put some raw meat in front of them and say make it the way you want and let them cook it.

Any time we put hamburger, steak or chicken in front of the girls they tell us to "START the GRILL/SMOKER"! They decide on the spices and if they want sauce or a glaze on it or not. It is all them! They LOVE it!!

Rip

Pretty much nailed it BP...except I got the "We don't want everything smoked"....I soft pedaled it, now it's, "You should take pictures of that!" and "what are you smoking this weekend?". The whole process took less than three weeks. We were out of town last weekend and my 19 year old daughter sent us plated pics of her supper (all arranged with the seasoning bottles in the background)...I replied it was very nice (but only one of us was wearing a free BP hoodie) and then DQ'ed her for not using pellets!

DolphinLvr

Pretty much nailed it BP...except I got the "We don't want everything smoked"....I soft pedaled it, now it's, "You should take pictures of that!" and "what are you smoking this weekend?". The whole process took less than three weeks. We were out of town last weekend and my 19 year old daughter sent us plated pics of her supper (all arranged with the seasoning bottles in the background)...I replied it was very nice (but only one of us was wearing a free BP hoodie) and then DQ'ed her for not using pellets!

LOL Rip!

Well I am already there BP and I have only had the MAK a week.......LOL I already know after last nights cook, I am going to have to season the wifes differently than mine

jimbo

Ok BP, you've hit it on the nose. I think I'm all the way through the process now. Even though I still get critiqued at home, I've heard my wife say many times, while at a restaurant, that the food doesn't compare to what she gets at home. You're right, they will come around & see the light.

TentHunter

Oh yeah that sounds about right. We went through that stage in our home and fortunately are now past it. Everyone now loves the grilled/bbq'd/wood-fire cooked food. In fact yesterday afternoon my daughter called me at work to tell me she wanted one of my Italian Fatties smoked on the grill for supper.

The other night I got home from work & the wife & kids (with no help from me) had smoked a meatloaf on the grill in a dutch oven with carrots & onions and made mashed potatoes to go with it. She used some of the Savory Herb pellets and oh man was it excellent (I will post pics of it)!

The wife is really looking forward to getting a pellet grill! ;)

sparky

how could you cook without it. you need pellets right? FT too. and my wife likes when am outside. i'm not bothering her so she can do her homework and she knows i am safe. win, win partner.

Last edited:

Chris231

You nailed it BP, not cooking in the house works every time. My wife and son love the food I cook on the Memphis Pro. Now if I could only get my wife to eat bacon!

ITFD#15

My wife thinks that I need help, beer and BBQ has become habit forming.
I cant wait until it is warmer and really see how this Traeger preforms.

Big Poppa

Administrator
You want top fix a complaining spouse? (husband or wife) Stop cooking for two weeks and come home and say "whats for dinner?" Then when he of she tells you...you get to return the grimace or comment. After two weeks they will go to the market for you

Top Bottom