Triple Jack Daniels Pulled Pork

TentHunter

For a church luncheon yesterday one of the ladies and I had planned matching dishes. She told me, "I'll make homemade Jack Daniels Baked Beans and you make the Jack Daniels Pork."

So we did... and boy did we ever get razzed about bringing Jack Daniels to church - lol :p. Today, even my boss at work & BP got in on the fun. As people ate the jokes then switched to my "smoking addiction" being the good kind - lol. It was a lot of fun to be had laughing & eating with great folks. Life is good!

I called this Triple Jack Daniels Pulled Pork because I used JD whiskey three ways; JD Pellets, JD in the braising liquid and JD in the BBQ sauce.

I started in the wee hours of the morning with 5 smallish pork butts, slathered on a little mustard and homemade rub, then onto the pit to smoke with some Jack Daniels pellets.
JDPORK01.JPG

Several hours and a decent bark later, the butts went into a hot roasting pan for transporting along with some braising liquid consisting of Brown Sugar, Cider Vinegar & some JD.
JDPORK02.JPG

I also made up a batch homemade Jack Daniels BBQ sauce to go on the pork.
JDPORK03.JPG

The pork butts continued to braise while the music team rehearsed; the smell was incredible and very distracting! (that's me playing Bass, sporting the black Big Poppa Smokers hoodie, and my daughter standing right below the projection screen)
WTEAM01.JPG

Just before eating I strapped on my BBQ gloves and pulled the pork adding some of the juices back in. The JD gave it a great flavor.
JDPORK04.JPG

And now for the money shots...
JDPORK05.JPG

Here's a plated sandwich topped with some slaw and the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce served up with some of Priscilla's homemade Jack Daniels beans (some of the best beans I ever ate). They made a great duo and both were crowd pleasers!
JDPORK06.JPG

This has definitely made its way to the list of recipes to repeat.

Hope you enjoy!

TentHunter

...Could you please post the recipe for the sauce?

Here it is. Basically its my homemade KC style sauce with a little Jack Daniels added. We did several taste tests to get the amount of JD right so you could distinctly taste it without it overwhelming the flavor.

Ingredients:
12 oz. Tomato Paste
12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) Apple Cider Vinegar
2 TBS. Lemon Juice
1 Lb. Dark Brown Sugar (aprrox. 2 1/8 cups - packed)
1 tsp. Granulated Onion (or Powder)
1 tsp. Granulated Garlic (or Powder)
1 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 to 1 tsp. Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne) .
1 tsp. Salt (optional - or use 1 more TBS. Lemon juice as a salt substitute)
1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
1 TBS. Smoked paprika (This gives a natural smoke flavor with no L-glutamates). Edit: if you can't get smoked paprika use regular paprika, but the smoked is better.

1/4 cup Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey

Directions:

1) Combine all ingredients into a large sauce pan and stir with a whisk.

2) Over med-high heat, bring to a strong boil then take off the heat. IMPORTANT: No additional water was added so DO NOT continue to let it boil or it will become too thick.

3) Allow to cool, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Store in a mason jar or Plastic squeeze bottle for easy dispensing.

Note: The extra molasses in the dark brown sugar makes this more of a KC style sauce.

I hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

ACW3

WOW!!! That really looks good, TH. I just finished dinner (the last of a smoked meatloaf made with ground elk, ground turkey, and JD, the other JD, sausage, wrapped in bacon), and I could probably eat a plate of your JD pulled pork and baked beans. Keep up the good work.

Art

Carter13

I made a batch of the sauce and boy is it great. The smoked paprika sure is a nice flavor.
My inlaws are coming over tomorrow for ribs and chicken. I will have the sauce on the side for everyone.

TentHunter

I made a batch of the sauce and boy is it great. The smoked paprika sure is a nice flavor...

The smoked paprika adds a nice light smokiness that doesn't overwhelm like liquid smoke can.

Really glad you like it. Its great knowing that someone else is enjoying it :).

sparky

ya, i poach recipes from the forum and make them for my family and they think i am great chef except 1/2 the recipes are from ya'll.

CarterQ

ya, i poach recipes from the forum and make them for my family and they think i am great chef except 1/2 the recipes are from ya'll.

Hey that's the whole point, I think we all do it! That's why this site is so good it's all about the cooking!

Top Bottom