Here I am again mak will not reach temp
Drum Smoking Big Poppa Smokers
Loyalty Program
Mak Grills
Here I am again mak will not reach temp
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Here I am again mak will not reach temp

  1. #11
    okay guys start out a ckicken on smoke, like i always do for the first 60 minutes, then i bump the grill up to 350-400 (depeding on how hungery we are lol

    The Wifi disconnected witch it has NEVER done, on at least 4 overnight cooks.

    i walked out to fix it and it had a flame out, so i had it restart, the smoke smell horrible, almost like plastic.

    it had 3 big "poof type explosion like back draft.

    I shut it down and the fire was still burning and i had to use water to put it out.

    the fire box was nearly completely full witch I just clean this thing out. I have burn 2 full pellet boxes and never had an issue before and ther was only a little ash in the box

    im not sure what is going on, while this is a new batch of pellets I dont really know what is going on

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Roseville CA
    Posts
    209
    Man, sorry to hear about these issues. Perhaps I should know this, but I don’t...
    -How long have you owned this MAK? Is it brand new?
    -Does this MAK have the brand new “k-style probe” Pellet Boss controller?
    -What version of firmware are you running? If you don’t know, turn on the Pellet Boss and hold down the UP arrow til it displays.
    -Have you spoken with MAK support about these issues?

    This has gotta get resolved so that you can start enjoying and loving your MAK like so many of us get to do numerous times each week

    Robb
    MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle -- Camp Chef FTG900

    I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are...

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post
    The Wifi disconnected witch it has NEVER done, on at least 4 overnight cooks.

    i walked out to fix it and it had a flame out, so i had it restart, the smoke smell horrible, almost like plastic.

    it had 3 big "poof type explosion like back draft.

    I shut it down and the fire was still burning and i had to use water to put it out.

    the fire box was nearly completely full witch I just clean this thing out. I have burn 2 full pellet boxes and never had an issue before and ther was only a little ash in the box

    ...while this is a new batch of pellets I dont really know what is going on


    First, the fact that your MAK stayed connected for at least four overnight cooks is awesome, but it doesn't mean a thing! WiFi to ANY device can disconnect at any time, without notice for a myriad of reasons. I don't care what brand the router is, etc. Just something to be aware of.

    Second, about the mini explosion; this has happened to others, and not just MAK owners. If you ever have a flame out, you must turn the grill off and empty the now full firepot before restarting the grill. Not doing so can cause a lot of excess smoldering because the pellets around the igniter are burried and starved of oxygen. Once the pellets do finally ignite, the buildup of smoke gasses can also ignite causing that "poof" you heard, followed by a fire pot full of burning pellets.


    Was this "new batch of pellets," perfect mix?
    Last edited by TentHunter; 08-18-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    <><
    MAK 1 Star General #651 - 2014 Model
    former owner - MAK 1 Star General #171
    22.5" Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill attachment
    27 + year old 22.5" Weber Kettle (still works fine)
    Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker - used mainly for cold smoking.

  4. #14
    This is a 2018 modle I bought in Feb/mar 2019

    The pellets are PM I cannot get bbqd anywhere local that I know of.

    Also I do wireless for a living and use commercial hardware at my house, it's very rare for the wireless to be the cause
    Last edited by turbov6camaro; 08-19-2019 at 11:03 AM.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Roseville CA
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post
    This is a 2018 modle I bought in Feb/mar 2019

    The pellets are PM I cannot get bbqd anywhere local that I know of.
    Gotcha! So you’ve had this MAK for about 6 months and all was well until just recently? In other words, you’ve been happily cooking away and all of a sudden these temp issues started?
    MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle -- Camp Chef FTG900

    I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are...

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by turbov6camaro View Post
    This is a 2018 modle I bought in Feb/mar 2019

    The pellets are PM I cannot get bbqd anywhere local that I know of.
    Please contact MAK Grills for support issues, we will get you taken care of!
    Superior Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker Grills!
    www.makgrills.com

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
    Gotcha! So you’ve had this MAK for about 6 months and all was well until just recently? In other words, you’ve been happily cooking away and all of a sudden these temp issues started?
    I had a couple issues in the past but they cleared out for a while

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    278
    MAK DADDY is your guy. Call them!
    MAK 2 Star #3623
    MAK 2 Star #1915 now w/another smoker
    Twin Eagles Gasser

  9. #19
    I also have a 2018. I also had issues with WiFi dropping. Back then, the MAK's controller firmware would drop into "smoke" setting if your WiFi disconnected. This could be particularly problematic if you were cooking at a higher temp, suddenly switching to "smoke" setting may, depending on many circumstances, have created the conditions that would lead the "poof" situation.

    So, as the others have advised, call MAK support. There is a firmware update that changes the behavior of the MAK losing WiFi connectivity AND a change to the firmware that appears to have stabilized the WiFi disconnects, at least for me. MAK Support will get you through this I am sure. Great people, easy to talk to you and very, very ready to make things right.
    --Sam

    MAK 2 Star #3634
    Weber Summit E450 gasser
    Blackstone 17" griddle

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sschorr View Post
    I also have a 2018. I also had issues with WiFi dropping. Back then, the MAK's controller firmware would drop into "smoke" setting if your WiFi disconnected. This could be particularly problematic if you were cooking at a higher temp, suddenly switching to "smoke" setting may, depending on many circumstances, have created the conditions that would lead the "poof" situation.

    So, as the others have advised, call MAK support. There is a firmware update that changes the behavior of the MAK losing WiFi connectivity AND a change to the firmware that appears to have stabilized the WiFi disconnects, at least for me. MAK Support will get you through this I am sure. Great people, easy to talk to you and very, very ready to make things right.
    I'm on mak 3.2, thought this already had WiFi fix?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •