Drum Smoking Big Poppa Smokers
Join Our Email List!
Mak Grills
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Blaz'n Grill Works pellet grill

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10

    Blaz'n Grill Works pellet grill

    OK I cannot afford right now a MAK which would be my choice of pellet grill. Came across the newer Blaz'n Grill and am lookin for feedback. Reminds me a lot of a Yoder with some little differences. The grates are different but to be honet kind of make me hesitant as they seem a little gimmicky. So tell me all, what do you think?

    Link removed. See Rules of the Road please.
    PS.com Moderating staff
    Last edited by scooter; 10-23-2012 at 07:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member muebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lancaster, Ca
    Posts
    1,015
    I say save up a little more and get what you really want.
    Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
    2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
    OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
    2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
    BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    Sorry, respect the rules about not posting links...just google "blaz'n" to take a look at the unit.

  4. #4
    Moderator jimsbarbecue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Saugus Ca
    Posts
    1,697
    Little known fact is I got to cook on a Blaz'n Grill for a few weeks. It is a nice unit that uses a ortech style controller.
    American made and a nice unit that cooks just fine. I also own a Traeger Jr. Grill
    I would still buy a MAK Grill even with the added cost. The one star with a extra rack would have close to the same cooking area.
    The extra features the Pellet Boss brings would be what makes the difference for me.
    Three plugs for meat probes
    Programmable cooks
    Pellet boss remote capable
    Food temp alarms
    Coming soon WiFi and iPhone app

    The MAK company has tried to MAKe your purchase as future proof as possible. The software in the Pellet Boss has the ability to be upgraded by the end user (easy)
    Items like the full size flame zone I was able to add to our MAK Grills. Most company would have you buy the NEW model to get these features.
    As Muebe posted save a little longer and get what you want and deserve.
    MAK Grills ,BPS Drum Smoker, Ole Hickory Pits Ace BP, Hasty Bake Legacy KCBS CBJ

  5. #5
    Administrator Big Poppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    La Quinta California
    Posts
    7,659
    the feature I like on the Blazn is the slide out fire pot for cleaning.

    I don' t like the ortech controls.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    716
    I'd hold out for what you want. The Blaz'n is alot thinner metal, lower quality than the other cookers. The bigger difference is the controller... This is one of a rash of pellet pits that came out as patents were expiring. When you are looking at pits like the MAK, Yoder, and even the Memphis... the controllers are more intelligent. The controller here is just a very basic unit. Using temp to turn feed on or off.... where as others are looking at temp deltas, feed rates, etc. lots of variables, and are "learning".

    Also, some of these new companies that are popping up, are starting to go under already. I think it was "IPT" that hit the scene, and 9 mos later is already out of business. So beware of that also... With so many new pellets launched in the last 12-18 mos, it can be pretty daunting.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    the feature I like on the Blazn is the slide out fire pot for cleaning.

    I don' t like the ortech controls.
    The slide out firepot is pretty slick... not just for cleaning... but lighting. I'd do away with an ignitor, and light with a torch, and slide it in every cook. Usually the first thing you will have trouble with at some point is your ignitor. And I agree on the controller. Nothing special.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    10
    I appreciate everyones feedback and comments...gives me a lot to think about.

  9. #9
    Junior Member smokenovice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsbarbecue View Post
    ...............I would still buy a MAK Grill even with the added cost. The one star with a extra rack would have close to the same cooking area.
    The extra features the Pellet Boss brings would be what makes the difference for me.
    Three plugs for meat probes
    Programmable cooks
    Pellet boss remote capable
    Food temp alarms
    Coming soon WiFi and iPhone app

    The MAK company has tried to MAKe your purchase as future proof as possible. The software in the Pellet Boss has the ability to be upgraded by the end user (easy)
    Items like the full size flame zone I was able to add to our MAK Grills. Most company would have you buy the NEW model to get these features.
    As Muebe posted save a little longer and get what you want and deserve.
    +1 Consider the MAK if possible, they are extremely good pellet grills and a smokin' machine!!
    MAK 2 Star General #700
    Traeger BBQ075 Texas
    Brinkmann Smoke'N Pit Charcoal Smoker & Grill
    Barbeques Galore Capt'N Cook Endeavour Propane 3 Burner

  10. #10
    Junior Member ptpalms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
    I'd hold out for what you want. The Blaz'n is alot thinner metal, lower quality than the other cookers. The bigger difference is the controller... This is one of a rash of pellet pits that came out as patents were expiring. When you are looking at pits like the MAK, Yoder, and even the Memphis... the controllers are more intelligent. The controller here is just a very basic unit. Using temp to turn feed on or off.... where as others are looking at temp deltas, feed rates, etc. lots of variables, and are "learning".

    Also, some of these new companies that are popping up, are starting to go under already. I think it was "IPT" that hit the scene, and 9 mos later is already out of business. So beware of that also... With so many new pellets launched in the last 12-18 mos, it can be pretty daunting.
    THINNER? You have obviously not seen a Blazin Grill in person! These things are tanks! The only one I have seen that is heavier is the Yoder.

    As far as the controller, yes, it is an Ortech 100, but it is in no way comparable to the Traeger controller. It is simple, and it does take some time to learn, but you have to learn your pit anyways...

    The grates are special grade laser cut stainless. I have yet to see one warp.

    I'd like to see somebody put 9 boston butts weighing 88lbs on a MAK, not happening. The Grid Iron has 702 sq inches of bottom space and 310 sq inches on its STANDARD top shelf for a total of 1012 sq inches of cooking space.

    The removable fire pot is pretty slick. It's easy to clean and if there ever was a flame out, just pull it out, dump, replace, turn back on. No need to remove the food, grates, grease drip tray, & heat deflector, just to get it vac'd out and then put it all back together for a restart.

    These are not low quality pits.

    If you are gonna save up for a top of the line pit, then just keep saving and buy a Fast Eddy's by Cookshack...
    Last edited by ptpalms; 11-18-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    FAST EDDY'S FEC100
    BLAZIN GRILL WORKS GRID IRONS X2
    Masterbuilt 40"
    New Braunfels Hondo
    Leisure Chef Outdoor Grilling Center
    Bakers & Chefs 8 burner event grill
    Bakers & Chefs 4 burner event grill
    Bradley digital smoker
    Charbroil Grill2Go X2
    Kenmore Elite Grill & smoker
    I lost track...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts