Sausage/Curing Information and Resources

Big Poppa

Administrator
Nepas...You do such amazing sausage and stuff.....Could you give us some basics?....casing supply, essential seasonings, fat/meat balance?...I would love to make some of this stuff and maybe make some originals

Just the Sausage for dummies cliff notes....thanks!

Deb?

Deb

Books (I don't think Nepas will help finish this post - He is a book;)):

Great sausage Making and Meat Curing - Rytek Kutas - Amazon.com: Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing (9780025668607): Rytek Kutas: Books If I had to give up all my sausage books but one, this is the one I would keep as it is the most comprehensive

Charcuterie, The craft of salting smoking & curing - Michael Rulhman Amazon.com: Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (9780393058291): Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn, Thomas Keller: Books

Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book : Recipes from America's Premium Sausage Maker - Amazon.com: Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book : Recipes from America's Premium Sausage Maker (9781580081597): Bruce Aidells, Denis Kelly: Books I have this and it has some good looking recipes but I haven't done anything from it yet

Last edited:

Deb

Now we just need Nepas to jump in, he is the one with all the knowledge (& where the little I have came from :) )

Ask him about his secret receipts;)

nepas

Now we just need Nepas to jump in, he is the one with all the knowledge (& where the little I have came from :) )

Ask him about his secret receipts;)

Secret receipts HAHA

Secret receipts

I have found if your going to use GB, use 80/20 or 73/27.

Casings i use for summer sausage are non edible synthetic & protein lined sizes are from 1 1/2 to 4" around and from 12 to 20" long. Tied at one end and you hog ring the open after stuffing. You can use natural hog, collagen or beef casing in this application also.

For slim jims i use 17 - 20mm collagen or 23mm natural or sheep casings.

Deb has you a couple good links here.

If your just starting out you can get some really good pre mixed kits from the links below. Just make sure you follow the directions or shoot me a message and i will be happy to help. Soon you will be doing your own mix.

Ask The Meatman - Beef, Pork, Deer, Recipes, Cooking Tips.
Jerky making sausage making seasonings meat curing supplies Eldon & Karen Cutlip are master sausage makers
Meat Grinder | Meat Processing Supplies | Jerky and Sausage Making | LEM Products Allot of Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain carry the LEM seasoning for 5 pound batches.
PS Seasoning and Spices PS Seasonings is a good place to buy kits with casings included. FYI PS Makes and packages the Cabelas Smokehouse kits. I found 6-7 Tbs of mix is good for a 5 pound batch. Always use 1 level tsp of cure per every 5 lbs of meat when smoking.
Con Yeager Spice Company Another good place for pre mixed. Their Trail Bologna is great.
The Sausage Source - Sausage Making Supplies & Equipment Good folks

Please dont hesitate to ask me for info or help.

Last edited:

Deb

bringing to the top because there has been alot of sausage/curing going on & questions

Hey BP - is it possible to change the name of the thread - I had a hard time finding it and I knew it was out there

jimsbarbecue

I am following this.I have ordered and received some equipment. The LEM 5 pound sausage stuffer. Have some seasoning and a jerky cannon coming. Next is a meat grinder. Any suggestions on the grinder. Looking at the LEM .35 or .75 horsepower models (or).Going to start this after the first. We make most of our ground meat. The kitchenaid attachment housing cracked and can be slow which leads me to putting off grinding meat. To say the least I subscribed to this thread.

TentHunter

Here's a couple recommendations:

"Polish Sausages - Authentic Recipes and Instructions." - Stanley Mirianski

This book contains the actual Polish Government regulated recipes that made Poland famous as a sausage exporter after World War II. It contains recipes not on the Wedliny Domowe website, and other recipes besides just Polish. The $13 price is cheap for what it contains.

Wedliny Domowe website: Making homemade sausage

The site/forum was started by Miroslaw Gebarowski and was soon joined by Stanley Mirianski (both of them are Polish). The site has a lot of very good in depth info ranging from sausage making to smokehouse design.

scott6049

Thank you Deb and TentHunter for all of your help and your postings. I really want to start making my own sausage and the information you all have provided will have me on my way to making my first batch of sausage . Thank you again so much. And thanks BP for having this forum were people can share their knowledge about BBQ , sausage making, smoking ect... ect

jimsbarbecue

Since my post above. We have a LEM 35 (weight was a factor in purchase) and a LEM 5 lb stuffer. Both work well. I recommend using Pretubed Natural Hog Casings. Google search will bring up suppliers. Start with a premade sausage seasoning and maybe add to it' before trying to make your own. Cook a small patty to taste before you stuff any so you can adjust the seasoning before you do a bunch. I also use Fat replacer in our sausage.

TrickyDick

I am shocked!! I feel like I did the day I learned the truth about Santa!

There is no such thing as pepperoni in Italy! The word is the equivalent of their word for a bell pepper!

Well I'm still making it no matter what its called!

TD

TentHunter

I am shocked!! I feel like I did the day I learned the truth about Santa!

There is no such thing as pepperoni in Italy!

Yep, peperoni is actually an Italian American, variation of salami (Salami Picante). In Italy if you ask for peperoni, you're likely to get yellow peppers (peperoncini).

Top Bottom