Rib Membrane - How do you remove it?

Bear

I thought this subject deserved a thread of its own.

As I have stated before, I pull it off with catfish skinners. It's the best way that I have found.

TentHunter

I usually use a paper towel, but it can get a little messy. I think I'm gonna be giving the catfish skinners a try. Catfish skin is tough and slippery just like that membrane so it makes sense.

Trooper

Pork ribs seem like an easy affair. I plan to do Beef Ribs soon. As I recall the Beef Ribs were a far more difficult task. If I remember right, the last (and only) time I tried to remove membranc from the back of beef ribs, it was a unsuccessful project. Beef "ribers" can chime in here as well.

FLBentRider

I have done beef ribs a few times and not been real happy with the outcome, but I think it has more to do with the source meat than the method. The beef ribs we get around here are really fatty for some reason. The ones I cut off a rib roast are great, but I'm not going to pay rib roast prices for beef ribs.

scooter

I get it started with the back of a spoon, grip and rip.

Same here only I use a butter knife and paper towel to grip it. I'll be looking for an oyster shucker to replace the butter knife. Heard the shucker works better.

The beef rib membranes I've done have only been slightly more of a challenge to remove than their pork counterparts.

SmokeAndSpice

Add another one who scrapes up a bit (I use a steak knife) then pulls with paper towel. It usually works well, for pork (have never done beef ribs).

Big Poppa

Administrator
I buy costco baby backs with no membranes...otherwise its pretty easy...just get it started and let her rip.

The funniest thing is that when I first started this I would spend forever trying to remove the membrane of off costco ribs! Finally figured out there were no membranes!

HogSmoker

100_0452.jpg

This how I take off the membrane

Rip

I'm with Scooter, butter knife & paper towel...but I do buy ribs at Costco a lot and the membrane is already (mostly) removed.

hawgsalot

Catfish skinners all the way. I've been using them for years and they are simple, quick, easy and cheap. Every Wallyworld has them for around $5.00.

bflodan

I also have had good luck with papertowel....Trooper the beef ribs I just did I removed it the same way... It actually felt easier than my last rack of pork... Maybe because its a larger rack but it pulled off in one nice piece.. flbent I know what you mean about the fatty beef ribs...I have a butchershop about 2 miles from me that has great ones all the time...Im wondering if he gets alot of orders for bonless rib roasts??? Im not complaining!!

CarterQ

Butter knife and paper towels always get it done on beef and pork ribs, but I might have to pick up a set of fish skinners. The worst is when the butcher misfires and has grazed the membrane with the saw leaving the membrane in "pieces" to remove.

smoker pete

I buy costco baby backs with no membranes...otherwise its pretty easy...just get it started and let her rip.

The funniest thing is that when I first started this I would spend forever trying to remove the membrane of off costco ribs! Finally figured out there were no membranes!

Funny you should say that Big Poppa cause I too used to spend forever trying to remove the membrane off of those Costco ribs. I just gave up and cook them now. But boy, it was frustrating trying to remove something that isn't there. :D :eek:

NorthernSmoke

I saw a YouTube video where the guy used a flathead screwdriver to get under the membrane on the third rib. Then use the screwdriver to clear the membrane covering the three ribs. Then with a paper towel pull the membrane off the rest !

Top Bottom