What percentage of teams use pellet smokers in competition?

ht01us

I've got a buddy who does some barbecue on a WSM. He looks down his nose at me with my Mak. He contends that you don't see many pellet smokers at BBQ competitions. I've never been to a competition so can't tell from personal experience, but I kind of think he may not be right.

If anyone has some numbers I'd love to set his straight.

Thanks

Rip

I'll let the Competition experts answer the percentage question. I can tell you forum members Andy (HoDeDo) and Kim of Smoke On Wheels compete using pellets and did pretty well at the Big Blue BBQ comp in Marysville earlier this month. Third overall with a 2nd in brisket and a 4th in pork. I posted a write up on this comp in the Competition section of the forum: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/competition-19/marysville-ks-big-blue-bbq-june-3rd-4th-1893/

Now if we could just get MAK Daddy to get a 4Star in Andy's toolkit..... :)

ht01us

I'll let the Competition experts answer the percentage question. I can tell you forum members Andy (HoDeDo) and Kim of Smoke On Wheels compete using pellets and did pretty well at the Big Blue BBQ comp in Marysville earlier this month. Third overall with a 2nd in brisket and a 4th in pork. I posted a write up on this comp in the Competition section of the forum: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/competition-19/marysville-ks-big-blue-bbq-june-3rd-4th-1893/

Nice write up Rip. And great pictures. Thanks for the feedback

Big Poppa

Administrator
There are a bunch of Fast Eddy Fe100's (not many 1000's) This weekend we took to calls with a mak and the second place chicken was a MAK

jimsbarbecue

Your Buddy is right that teams use WSM in competition. when you go to a comp you will see WSM, Pellet smokers, and stick burners and drums are all used. I have had a 18 and 22 WSM. Now only the 18. The last time I purchased charcoal was a year ago (4 bags).

KimG SOW

From what I understand, there aren't a lot of pellet smokers in the NW that are used for competitions. Come to the Midwest and you will see a big mix of everything. In 2009, 6 of the top 12 Overall KCBS Point Winners were Pellet Cookers.

Last edited:

scooter

For CA (CBBQA) the Team of the Year for 2010 in the ribs and chicken categories (Chris Juencke of Smokin' Yankee's) uses 100% pellet cookers and he always cooks his #1 comp chicken on a MAK 2 Star. In the overall, three of the teams in the CBBQA top 10 TOY use pellet cookers, two of them use pellet cookers exclusively. (BP has a 1 Star on his new trailer but I'm not sure if his boys cook any of their comp meats on it.)
The 2010 CBBQA Rookie Team of the year (Left Coast Q) took notice of the Smokin Yankees wins in chicken last year using their MAK so they have purchased a MAK 2 Star to do their chicken as well.
WSMs are among the best comp cookers out there! The top 3 teams in CBBQA in the overall category use WSMs exclusively (Slap Yo Daddy, All Sauced Up and Rhythm n Que) so they are serious cookers to be sure but pellet cookers are coming into their own on the comp circuit.
So Howard, you can hold your head up high knowing that the best scoring chicken on the CA bbq competition circuit is cooked on a MAK 2 Star! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom