Yippeee! Lets celebrate the Fourth! Im stepping it up!

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I need 15 entries to double the pot this week....comeon lurkers and sometimes posters.....Squirt the Cat is the judge and he favors rookies! (I have no idea...just trying to lure some of you in)

If there are 15 entries:

Every entry is guaranteed $10 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers (less than 15 entries, $5)
First place $50 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers (if less than 15 $25.oo)
Second Place $35 Store Credit to Big Poppa Smokers (if less than 15 $15)
Third Place $20 Store credit to Big Poppa Smokers (if less than 15, $10)

Lets see some chow baby!

squirtthecat

Oh boy.... I'll be judging via my phone and Tapatalk from somewhere in Manhattan, so this will be interesting!

BP, Tuesday night Ok?

ITFD#15

Big weekend on the north side of the border as well.
I warmed up the grill with ribs like Sparky so let the games begin, should be some great cooks.

CarterQ

Mushroom Stuffed Tenderloin

My wife really wanted to try this recipe so we gave it a whirl-

Fry up a few slice of bacon until crisp, remove the bacon and sautee onion, garlic, and portabellos until tender in the bacon drippings

65b41765.jpg

Add bacon, parsley, bread crumbs and some parmesan and mix for the filling

06701826.jpg

cb5936e6.jpg

Took a small tenderloin roast and trimmed off the silver skin

5c7544ea.jpg

Sliced open, stuffed

1040727a.jpg

Tied up with Butcher twine and some toothpicks then hit it with Annies garlic oil, Wee Willy's steak rub, and Little Louies with Pepper

61601a23.jpg

Seared on the MAK Sear Grate @400 for 2 minutes a side and then rotated with an additional 2 minutes a side

9f7e943b.jpg

Ramp the MAK down and cook @275 until we hit an IT of 130

60bab837.jpg

While meats resting do some San Luis Sourdough garlic bread on the sear grate

94913521.jpg

Sliced and served with a little Ceasar salad and the bread

e7ecefc6.jpg

This came out good, the meat was awesome and the stuffing wasn't too bad either, I am not a huge fan of stuffed beef and this didn't change my mind, wife liked it though so you know the old saying, "happy wife, happy life!"

Last edited:

Susan

Filipino Chicken Barbecue (Inihaw na Manok) with Cherry Pellets
07-03-2011.jpg

I combined all the ingredients, including sugar which is missing from the photo and reserved half for mopping on the grill. The chicken was bagged and sealed in the sauce and put in the fridge to get some flavor.

07-03-2011001.jpg

After 4.5 hours I pulled the chicken out of the fridge and plated it to bring it to room temperature.

07-03-2011024.jpg

Then I heated the reserved sauce to reduce it and thicken it.

07-03-2011014.jpg

Onto the Weber with cherry pellets.

07-03-2011013.jpg

Happy smoke.

07-03-2011014.jpg

Mopped it with the sauce reduction every 15 minutes.

07-03-2011015.jpg

Off the fire at 164 and tented.

07-03-2011019.jpg

Plated with a light salad.

This was a wonderful recipe! The chicken was moist, tender and the sauce added more flavor than I anticipated. The aroma swirling around the Weber and neighborhood was fabulous. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

sparky

wow, sue. what a nice plate of food. i love the color of the chicken and the fresh salad. 2 thumbs up! ;)

ht01us

Reverse sear Santa Maria Tri-tip

In the spirit of upping the pot for everyone, I'll show my Tri-tip.

I made tri-tip on my 2nd or 3rd cood on the Mak and wasn't thrilled. I was still learning. i read more recipes; got more comfortable with how the Mak cooks and tried again tonight. It was just two of us, so I picked up a smallish (2 lb) trip-tip.
IMG_0153.JPG

Started with a pretty simple Santa Maria rub: salt, 3 types of pepper (red, black, white), onion powder and garlic powder.
IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

Made a mop/spritz sauce of red wine vinegar, olive oil, and a big ol' clove of garlic whirled in the food processor.
IMG_0149.jpg

In the meantime, Carla skewered some baby potatoes and treated with olive oil, salt, and pepper. They'd go on the Mak too. (Might be the first time for vegetables on the Mak)

30 minutes before cooking time; take out the tri-tip and coat liberally with the rub.
IMG_0155.JPG

Set the Mak to 225 using BBQ Delight oak pellets. Program it to run at 225 until the IT reaches 120; then go to High until the IT hits 140.
IMG_0157.JPG

Every few minutes I went out to flip and mop the tri-tip.

When the first program step completes, the tri-tip goes to the warmer (might be the first time I've used it) until the grill gets north of 425
IMG_0158.JPG

Back on the grill on the hot side this time. About 5 minutes on the torch.
Looks good after 10 minutes under a foil tent.
IMG_0161.JPG

And the potatoes. We should have cut them in half.
IMG_0163.jpg

I paid better attention to the grain this time and sliced it crosswise.

Beautiful 76 degrees outside in Portland this evening. We got to eat outside
IMG_0166.JPG

Sooo much better than last time. My advice to the new pellet cooker users. Practice, practice, practice. And keep track of what you've done. As an example, here is my cooking log from tonight.

I was thinking of trying my first brisket ever; but really, it would have been just too much food. But it is on my summer list and I'll inflict my pictures of it on you sooner or later.

Oh, and I lost my little Panasonic Lumix camera a couple of weeks back. I bought a Canon Powershot S95 which I used for tonight's pictures.

Last edited:

CarterQ

Wee Willy Spatchcock Chicken

It was a hot day today here in Central Cali (105) so we spent the day hanging out in the pool and I did'nt want to spend much time standing around the grill so I kept dinner simple, spatchcock chicken-

Spatchcoked the bird and rubbed it down with Wee Willy's white BBQ sauce and dusted it with Desert Gold

73f43e63.jpg

Onto the MAK running @225 for an hour and then 350 until an IT of 165 (thanks pellet boss)

3157eaec.jpg

Little ways into the cook throw some fresh corn on

c038deea.jpg

Chicken and corn ready to go

1903ce7d.jpg

Waiting to meet the knife

f731bc03.jpg

Corn is done

615e1a2f.jpg

Served up the chicken and corn with a nice bean salad

c3a2b56b.jpg

This came out awesome, the perfect meal for a hot summer day and the MAK did all the work. Wee Willys white sauce and Desert Gold are a killer combo, I think this was the best spatchcock chicken I have done so far.

Last edited:

CarterQ

Peach Cobbler

Needed a nice simple dessert to end a great summer day so I did a basic peach cobbler-

Start with these

f3c759dc.jpg

Cut 6 large peaches into medium size chunks, add flour, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix

cec1d5fc.jpg

Put the peach mix into a cast iron skillet

dcd91fe9.jpg

Make the crumble using flour, brown sugar, white sugar, and chilled butter

ffd87ff5.jpg

Put the crumble on top of the peaches and onto the MAK running at 400

f8fc9f30.jpg

After 45 minutes looking nice

b61b0357.jpg

Let cool a little before serving

cf9d32e7.jpg

Serve warm with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream

8b15cfbb.jpg

Heaven. That's all I can say, this is the perfect summer dessert!

Last edited:

nepas

Triple Hog Apple Baked Beans PT 1

Ok going my way with this recipe.

Hog #1

Diced bacon with 1/2 cup onion and 1/2 cup green & red bell pepper.
DSC01621.jpg

2 55oz cans of Bush original drained just a tad.
DSC01622.jpg

CYM, Worcy sauce, brown sugar, salt lick/head country combo & 1.5 tsp chipotle powder and spicy bbq sauce.
DSC01623.jpg

Added Hog #1 and the brown sugar. Mix good.
DSC01625.jpg

Worcy sauce.
DSC01626.jpg

Spicy bbq sauce and the dry.
DSC01627.jpg

CYM. Stir in good.
DSC01628.jpg

Chopped down the apple pie filling and added to the mix. Stir good
DSC01624.jpg

DSC01629.jpg

Hog #2

1 lb of the poke butt i did on my MAK last night. Stir again.
DSC01630.jpg

nepas

Triple Hog Apple Baked Beans PT 2

Hog #3

1 lb of regular home made sausage.
DSC01631.jpg

My little meat smusher doohicky at work.
DSC01632.jpg

Add to bean mix and stir in good. Cook in the pot for 45 mins.
DSC01633.jpg

Triple Hog BAM Beans ;D ready for the BBQ today in Coatsville, PA.
DSC01634.jpg

nepas

CT MAK Butt

Got my remote going at smoke for 2 hours. Then to 225

DSC01591.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

From my neighbors garage drinking hurricanes :D

remote.jpg

Got another few hours and applied another coat of CT.

secondct.jpg

Took from MAK at 9:30 pm est.

DSC01616.jpg

Blade bone slid right out.

DSC01618.jpg

Used my hand and black knight gloves to pull. Now ready for todays bbq. Will post more pics later.

DSC01619.jpg

jimsbarbecue

Just Burgers

Today we are cooking a brisket. Yesterday we voted to have Burgers. Seem liked a summer style meal. Served with corn on the cob and watermelon. No they are not costco burgers. Can't mix in the seasoning if you don't make then yourself. MAK at 375 for 8 minutes 6 first side 2 on second or until temp.Can't get anymore simple!
DSC00551-M.jpg

Chili Head

Here's what we got going on this year.
Let's start off with lunch. We got a home made pepperoni pizza with some ABT's stuffed with pepperoni, sharp cheddar cheese and bacon!
46e1a2a3-e953-0050.jpg

46e1a2a3-e8f8-cdc0.jpg

Then on went the ribs!
Ribs were rubbed with Maks sweet rub on one and the other two got a dusting of Meat Smack rub.
46e1a2a3-e9f9-ba09.jpg

I'm taking the ribs to Sr's house where we're doing a Cajun shrimp boil! I'll update with pictures later.

Here's the final pictures of the feast.
As usual we all stuffed our faces and ate way too much!

I FTC'd the ribs for the drive over and they got little soft. Everyone still raved over them and The MAK just makes it easy.
We did a Cajun shrimp boil with sausage, potatoes, onion and corn as well. This was our first shrimp boil and it turned out good! Here's how we did it.
We used a turkey pot half full of water. Bring it to a boil and add the ingredients. The shrimp goes in at the end once everything else is done.

2-3 pounds fresh Shrimp
1 large Sweet Onion
6 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white Vinegar
4 oz Zatarain’s Shrimp & Crab Boil
5 Lemons
2 pounds Baby Red Potatoes
Corn on the Cob
2 Tablespoons Salt

Cover your dining room table with plastic and throw down some news paper. Then dump the strained ingredients on the table. Only thing left is to chow down!
46e1a2a3-a08f-a2d1.jpg

46e1a2a3-a0a2-1466.jpg

46e1a2a3-a0b6-3c6b.jpg

46e1a2a3-a0ca-caad.jpg

46e1a2a3-a0dd-e2e7.jpg

46e1a2a3-a0ef-5562.jpg

Here's my plate before I tore into it.

46e1a2a3-a105-5ec4.jpg

I hope everyone had a great 4th!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bflodan

Surf and Turf

Cooked this on Friday because of a crazy 4th of July weekend planned...Wasnt sure if I was going to get to fire up the MAK at all...Did some Grilled Prawns with a Citrus Garlic Butter and a Garlic and Herb marinated Tri Tip...I have a great seafood connection here who got me some fresh Santa Barbara Spot Prawns... I did not expect that they would still be alive, I guess thats pretty fresh...
127-1.jpg

Made a Citrus Garlic Butter with unsalted butter, fresh garlic, lemon/orange/lime zest and a couple Thai Chilis for a little heat..
132-1.jpg

Had the Prawns sitting in a little Grapeseed Oil and a touch of Sugar, then added half the butter mixture..
131-1.jpg

Made a herb and garlic marinade and dropped a tri tip in for about 6hrs... Dusted with some Desert Gold and Little Louies onto the mak at 250..
126-1.jpg

When the Tip hit 128 into the warming box and cranked up the MAK then seared for about 3min per side..Let reset under foil for about 20min
137-1.jpg

Had my Weber Loaded with some Lump and Hickory Pellets...Threw the Prawns on and covered...Only took a few minutes per side..
134-1.jpg

136-1.jpg

138.jpg

Sliced the Tri Tip and then plated with Bread and a Salad...
139-1.jpg

141.jpg

Delicious!!

Top Bottom