How much do you typically pay for Brisket?

JeremyY

I have a big gig next weekend so I have been doing more price checking than i would normally do. I typically just ask the meat guy at costco to get some untrimmed brisket from the back that cost about $3.49 per lb. (or $3.39 if I'm buying a lot). I checked Restaurant Depot and it looks like I can get it for $3.29 if I buy more than 50 lbs which I need to do this time. This would also be my first time buying from Restaurant Depot, anyone have any good or bad experiences with their meat?

TentHunter

Man, I'll tell you, Brisket prices are all over the place depending on where you live.

Around here (N.E. Ohio), over the last year or two brisket is finally getting popular enough for BBQ that butchers and grocers are starting to really carry it. For example one butcher shop I frequent is carrying brisket for a good price this year (Around $2.39/lb). Last year they didn't even carry it. In grocery stores and some butchers, they'll trim it up and then charge $4.99/lb (Yeouch!). But I usually find whole packers at at Club warehouse stores for anywhere from $1.89-2.69/lb now.

If you can't find a good price and are planning to do pulled beef (not sliced), look at chuck roasts.

RGrunz

I really think stupid shoppers have distorted the prices of various cuts in meat counters. It's gotten to the point that a lot of times I decide what I am cooking based on the deals available.

scooter

I get USDA Choice at Smart & Final anywhere from $1.99/lb to $2.50/lb depending on the time of year. Right now it's $2.19/lb and they range from 9lbs to 18lbs. S&F sells Select but usually there's one or two Choice in the meat case. Once in a while it's all Choice! :)

jimsbarbecue

Scooter is right on with the Smart and Final looking for the choice ones. Sams Club also has choice and if I go when it is not busy the meat person will bring a cart of briskets out for me to look at. Now the next I want to try is the Waygu from the Meat Locker.

Top Bottom