memphis vs mak

Dundee

I'm shopping for my first pellet grill and have narrowed it down to Mak 2 star and Memphis pro. It's cold up here in Canada and I wonder how the two perform in the cold. I am also curious how the warm up time compares to a gas grill, that is all I am used to, never used a pellet grill.

EEman

Dundee,

I started the same thread a while ago.

MAK vs Memphis

Not sure I got this thread in here as a link, but you can search for it.

I have pretty much decided on the MAK, but have the same concerns about cold since I live at 6,500 feet in Colorado. There is also an existing thread on using your smoker in the cold, so check that out, too. Good luck!

EDB

TentHunter

Here's the link to the thread EEman started: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/mak-vs-memphis-2996/

I can't speak for Memphis grills (since I don't own one), but both grills are tried & true.

It gets pretty cold here in N.E. Ohio. In fact it's been around or below freezing most of this past week with some snow. So far we're thrilled with how our MAK 1 Star General has performed, even in the cold weather.

As for your other question about the warm up time, it's maybe a little longer than a gas grill because the pellets have to ignite before they start putting out heat. But, I actually like to take advantage of that by putting certain things such as Tri-Tips on during the warm up to catch some extra smoke before it gets up to grilling temps.

Trooper

I own a MAK and can speak for them.
I cook in the winter in Michigan. I do not use bricks in my cooker nor do I use a blanket.
I have put up a very rough shelter with some scrap boards to cut down on the wind. It's the big killer, as far as I'm concerned.
I can't necessarily speak for the Memphis line not having cooked on one in the wintertime.
I have a friend in Minnesota who parks his Memphis cooker in the snowbank and cooks regularly in the inclement weather.
Also, no bricks or blankets for him either

Bear

Just to keep this thread from getting too one sided, I'll throw one in for the Memphis Pro. I love mine.

dms3554

Sparky: Why do you say get the MAC over the Memphis Pro or Elite. I am new to all of this nd am trying to decide between the two. Let's leave any cost differences out of the discussion. Thanks for your wisdom. I understand you are a Pellet Guru.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Huh pellet guru? Rib meister...yes Sparky has left the building but he had a Memphis and did not like it I sold it to a friend that has the unit sparky didnt like and he has had zero problems with it

They both are great cookers It depends on what you need or want to do on a regular basis... If you want more information call us at 877 828 0727 and we will help make sure you get the grill that is best suited for you

Top Bottom