First W/E with MAK 2 Star, Bacon, Pork, Ribeyes, A.B.T's, Avocado, Spatchcock Chix

FullFat

Spent the holiday weekend getting acquainted with #952. Prior to my purchase of the 2 Star, I looked at 100's of pictures showcasing everyone's great looking food and recipes. So, with that in mind, I did my best to chronicle my first "weekend" with this amazing machine. Please keep in mind that I am a total newb in the smoking world. I can't believe how easy it is to make great food on the MAK.

Took about an hour to assemble on Friday morning and once the burn-in process was complete, I was off and running with my first cook....Bacon!!!

Won't stay this clean for long
IMG_0070.JPG

Quick dinner on Friday night.
Ribeyes with BP Garlic Salt and Bella Mushrooms
IMG_0120.PNG

After dinner, prepped an 8lb pork shoulder with an injection made from beer, worcestershire, siracha, apple juice, salt, and sugar. Used Big Poppa's smoking technique, 225° until internal temp reaches 165°, pull and foil, return to MAK until it reaches 185°, then put in cooler surrounded by towels. During the cook, I got up out of bed every 90 minutes to spray the meat and check the temperature (shows my inexperience).

6am Saturday morning.
IMG_0079.JPG

After foiling, the temp quickly jumped to 207° so I was terrified that I had ruined the pork. Couple hours in the cooler, it was time for the unveiling.

Click for video...pardon the baby noises in the background.

Money Shot
IMG_0087.JPG

Next up....A.B.T's!!! These were so good, I made them on Saturday and Sunday for a couple parties.
IMG_0093.jpg

Sunday
Spatchcock Chicken with Garlic Butter Injection
IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

Hickory Smoked Avocado
IMG_0102.JPG

This was the best chicken my 11 month old has ever tasted...Well, it's actually the only chicken she's ever tasted but she wasn't complaining.
IMG_0112.JPG

Thanks Big Poppa for the great recipes/videos and thanks MAK for making this awesome machine. After one weekend of cooking, the CFO (my wife) knows why MAK is the only pellet smoker I wanted to buy. Worth every penny!!!!

FullFat

You definitely hit the ground running, everything looks fantastic! How were the smoked avocados?

Avocados had a subtle hickory flavor...Dusted with a little garlic salt before entering the smoker drawer. Will definitely do it again.

Tatonka3A2

Wow you knocked it out of the park all on your first weekend!! Everything looks great!

Watch out...those ABT's are addicting...the ingredient mixes are endless!

TentHunter

Wow, talk about running it through the gauntlet and everything turned out great! Smoked avocados are now on my list.

FullFat

It's is so cool to have BBQ authorities like all of you comment on my food.

Updated video link above showing the "pulling" of the pork.

Top Bottom